DC limiter

The halogene spots in the elevator outside my appartment repeats going out - because of malfunctional electronics from the elevator company, the voltage rise from the normal 12V and up to 30V.

In OrCAD PSpice I have tried designing a simple circuit with a 12V zener diode keeping the DC voltage at 12V at varying input 12-30V.

But it doesn't work... anyone have an better idea?!

Reply to
Asbjørn

Maybe a constant current supply, but you dont specify the current.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

the halogen spot needs 20W at 12V: giving R=3D7.2 and I=3D1.67

martin griffith skrev:

Reply to
=?iso-8859-1?B?QXNiavhybg==?=

Get the elevator company to fix this, if it's indeed the problem. It's a safety issue so they should not drag their feet about this. You shouldnt get involved in their problem.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Either you d 'what the f*ck' 'f****ng simulate' 'f****ng trivial' 'simu-f****ng-lated right hand' 'fucktard' 'sci.electronics.f****ng.basics' 'f****ng believe it' 'f****ng well simulated' 'f****ng book' 'slowly, bitch' 'twice'

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Tim Auton skrev:

OK - have fun swearing at the internet - oooh, i'm scared boy!!

By the way I'm all most finish with my bachelor electrical engineering so i don't need the: well be carefull, it's an elevator with real people. I had in mind taking a word with the company (who's electricians doesn't seem to have a solution) before cutting of the power supply:-). The halogen spot is mounted on a standard parallel connection, thus breakdown doesn't have an effect at the elevator, when a 4A fuse link is used.

My best suggestion is some kind of the standard voltage stabilizer

with some kind of modification allowing very varying input voltage.

Only serious answers/suggestions, please!!

Reply to
=?iso-8859-1?B?QXNiavhybg==?=

ROTFLMAO!

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

That's the kind of "bachelor electrical engineering" that keeps me employed in my old age ;-)

...Jim Thompson

What the hell is a halogen spot?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

he

Well...is a kind of light bulb......

=?iso-8859-1?B?QXNiavhybg==?=

Well, since you post from Google and Google tells us your posting host is....

87.72.108.153

And since a DNS lookup tells us you are fiddling about with lifts in Denmark....

Being good citizens of planet earth we feel the need to inform your service provider....

*****@comx.dk

of your efforts so they can sort something out before you do go and kill someone.

Is that serious enough answer for you?

______________________________________________________________ Path: newsbetxt1-gui.ntli.net!newspeer1-win.ntli.net!news-out.ntli.net!newsrout1-gui.ntli.net!ntli.net!news.highwinds-media.com!news2.volia.net!postnews.google.com!f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail From: "=?iso-8859-1?B?QXNiavhybg==?=" Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design Subject: Re: DC limiter Date: 9 Nov 2006 17:11:14 -0800 Organization:

Lines: 34 Message-ID: References: NNTP-Posting-Host: 87.72.108.153 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" X-Trace: posting.google.com 1163121079 16448 127.0.0.1 (10 Nov 2006 01:11:19 GMT) X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@google.com NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 01:11:19 +0000 (UTC) In-Reply-To: User-Agent: G2/1.0 X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.1),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe) Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@google.com Injection-Info: f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com; posting-host=87.72.108.153; posting-account=PsCvtA0AAAD_UJdVo5AfyPYFJluUUxLB Xref: newspeer1-win.ntli.net sci.electronics.design:749069 X-Received-Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 01:12:50 GMT (newsbetxt1-gui.ntli.net)

Tim Auton skrev:

OK - have fun swearing at the internet - oooh, i'm scared boy!!

By the way I'm all most finish with my bachelor electrical engineering so i don't need the: well be carefull, it's an elevator with real people. I had in mind taking a word with the company (who's electricians doesn't seem to have a solution) before cutting of the power supply:-). The halogen spot is mounted on a standard parallel connection, thus breakdown doesn't have an effect at the elevator, when a 4A fuse link is used.

My best suggestion is some kind of the standard voltage stabilizer

with some kind of modification allowing very varying input voltage.

Only serious answers/suggestions, please!! ______________________________________________________________

Reply to
Genome

Okay, these are high amperage devices, and from your original description the elevator voltage stays high for quite a while when it flakes out. You would not want to use a zener since its effect would be to sink indefinitely large currents out of the elevator power source. There will no simple fix other than making the maintenance people fix their power supply. If it absolutely cannot be fixed that way, then look for a self-protected low dropout regulator (LDO with built-in thermal protection) that regulates at 12V and handles the bulb current.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

the

ted

eve

Thank you very much - I know little about elevators, but it happens exactly as you're describing. I think the zener regulation would work at low current levels, though - but thanks!

Reply to
=?iso-8859-1?B?QXNiavhybg==?=

Thank you very much - I know little about elevators, but it happens exactly as you're describing. I think the zener regulation would work at low current levels, though - but thanks!

If you would like to try your hand at a step-up/dn DC to DC converter, that would work over that voltage range very nicely. I would even draw you the schematic, if you would like? Brian

Reply to
Brian

I was swearing at you, not 'the internet'.

Who you kill is your own concern. I'm more worried that you felt the need to simulate this at all and that on the basis of your simulation you apparently rejected using a Zener in a configuration you didn't feel the need to share.

I'm worried that you expect to design, and that you expect others to be able to design, without you providing crucial information like the current draw of the halogen lights, or nature of this presumably abnormal 30V. Does this 30V last a millisecond? A second? A week? The solutions for a millisecond transient may be very different to those for a persistent overvoltage. The solutions for a 500mA single bulb may be very different to those for a 10A array.

For a brief transient of 30V a series resitor and parallel Zener would work. Even a big parallel capacitor would work.

I see you provided the current draw in another post, while I was writing this reply. It's high enough that most voltage regulator ICs are out of the question, but not all...

Assuming you don't want too big a voltage drop in your voltage regulator circuit (ie not too much dimming of the bulb), how about an LT1083 with a big fat heatsink? You'd need to be sure about that 30V max and think about behaviour at switch-on (0V on output cap, 30V on input is right at the maximum spec). Check the recent thread "Voltage rating of LM317" for discussion of a similar problem.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

All low voltage halogen lamps I know of are powered by AC, not DC. I suspect that since the lamp in question is associated with the elevator it will also be AC powered. Such lamps must be powered using the specified transformer for the lamp load so it depends upon what the existing source charateristics are for this lamp in your situation. I suspect that the lamp is not being powered in accordance with the design specifications... And I don't need a bachelor in electrical engineering degree or the use of Pspice to analyse what is going on with such a simple arrangement.

An explanation of transformers for low voltage halogen lamps is here

Ross Herbert

Ross Herbert skrev:

Well, yes, I have just downloaded the PSpice ver. 15.7, so I had do practice some simple circuits... Their are some crack heads - writing: you gunn'r kill somebody etc. - so thats why I need to mention my upcoming bachelor degree, telling them... well I'm not an 13 year old kid making some fun!! I need some practical study as well, and everybody nedds to start somewere...

I will return with some more information, when I have spooken to the electricians - a part of the difficulty in the task is not knowing the exact circuit of the halogenspot, the voltagesupplier (trafo), average time of overvoltage, exact maximum voltage level etc. My motivation was, well: just use a 12V zener, that should do it - but know I've learned :)

Reply to
=?iso-8859-1?B?QXNiavhybg==?=

Brian a écrit :

Yes I know it's copyrighted but...

Bwah Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

--
Thanks,
Fred.

"Fred Bartoli" wrote in message news:45543237$0$18298$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

Wrong! Brian

Reply to
Brian

Brian a écrit :

No, right. Did you even understood why I laughed? I obviously don't know you and what you can or can't do. But what I know for sure is what the OP can or can't do.

--
Thanks,
Fred.