Danaher buys Keithley

Oh yes, places like the Stanford Bookstore. Engineer's heaven :-)

I see it exactly the same way. We can't continuously blame "the system" for the laziness of students. Take away their i-whatevers and TVs and whatever other distractions they have.

That's one area where I believe administrations are failing. Compared to other countries we have rather large school administrations and sometimes I don't quite see the bang for the buck. Lots of waste.

At the university I often opted not to buy the prescribed book but gather together my own stuff. Sometimes that was in another language but heck, saving $40 equaled more than three crates of beer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It's them thar blinkenlights and dem bells geringen :-)

More Java books and Excel for Dummies and stuff like that.

students.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And you moved there? Why?

In CA the budget goes down in flames pretty much every year. And usually several weeks or months late. This year they broke the record, >100 days late. As division managers we'd have been fired on the spot if we had been only a day late.

I like buy-your-own better. It teaches accountability.

be

I usually make sure there is a hardware store nearby and then she calls me on the two-way radio when she is done shopping.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

However, the fundamentals are no longer taught, instead we get feel-goodism. "The system" also no longer allows discipline so those who want to learn have a chance. When the inmates run the asylum nothing good can happen. Meanwhile costs have skyrocketed with far lower productivity; the opposite of the rest of the economy.

That's only one of the long list of faults of "the system".

Books for most courses were pretty much a requirement, if for no other reason than examples. Books could be sold for about 50% of the cover, so it wasn't all that bad. My brother had it far worse (Veterinary Medicine). His books were pretty much all by the professors of the course and they used them extensively in exams; "explain page 104, paragraph 3". They were also revised every year so the resale value was zero. IOW, a racket.

Reply to
krw

see

but

Oh. I missed those books, too.

I put those in the "Windows books" category. There are often a four or five shelves of Linux books too.

students.

I live in the adjacent city, a big difference.

I meant, shot down by the voters.

I don't think most would. ...and everyone else would lynch the school board.

be

We're going to Atlanta for a long weekend in a couple of weeks. I drop her off in a shopping center and take off to some woodworking stores a few miles from there. Atlanta has four really nice big-boy-toy stores where I can spend

*lots* of money. ;-) When she's done she waits in the B&N, reading books. Her "Nook" is pretty slick. Books can be read free on it in-store.
Reply to
krw

Linux

certainly,

NAS

Most printers cost less than a full set of ink. They don't have Ethernet ports.

Intended for multi-part forms?

Reply to
krw

Linux

media

certainly,

your NAS

These are in the $150 & up price range. One was a HP inkjet that sits in the shipping department of a small manufacturing company. It replaced a network HP 4050 laser printer that died.

They also bought a HP color laser printer with a duplexer so it will print double sided.

The third is here at my house, a HP Photosmart 2575xi color inkjet. I also have several HP II and III series printers with a network card.

Most printers aren't worth taking out of the box, when they sell for under $50.

Yes. Standard tractor feed, and up to 5 layers. Too bad it isn't wide carriage. I still have a couple cases of wide paper. In any case, it was free.

I haven't tested it yet. It seems odd to need a driver for a dot matrix printer. :)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

[...]

That is a racket. At State universities it wouldn't take much to stop the practice if the administration had the backbone to do it. In Europe this sort of racket happened rarely, and if it did students had a way to retaliate. At copy shops.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

see

but

4-5 shelves of Linux books? I've never seen that, and I usually browse the computer section in hopes of finding good uC or DSP books.. [...]

students.

Ok, so do I. That's forgiveable.

Here's hoping that one of the initiatives passes that stops the practice of calling taxes "fees", which was often used to skirt the 2/3rds voting requirement.

Yes, entitlement thinking :-(

[...]

biggest

Around here, that's true for regular books, too. Some people sit in there all day long and read, and nobody stops them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

see

but

Sure, even the small BAM here has a couple of shelves. I've never seen any uC or DSP stuff on the shelves, though.

We don't have anything like that here, at least I don't think we do (only been here for one voting cycle). Everything here seems to need a constitutional amendment. You'll see dozens of them for various cities and counties on the ballot. Weird.

I'm not so concerned about such things, It's direct transfers from one individual to another that gets me. Sure, I'd rather each pay their own way but I don't see any way that can work.

biggest

B&N has that as a policy, AFAICT. BAM too (the only book store, other than the university stores), but it's nowhere near the same class as B&N.

Reply to
krw

Linux.=20

is *not*

drivers,=20

hardware=20

not

display

SCSI

raid

works.

dull

Linux

font and

scanner

are

I haven't even had many problems with printers. All the major manufacturers support Linux on several or all models. =20 Scanners are a matter of selecting supported models. With the number of mechanisms used dropping to just a few, many more scanners are compatible now.

you

HP

it long

Reply to
josephkk

Here's a little article about a guy who decided to try just using Linux (Ubuntu) for 30 days:

-- I think it's pretty realistic in that it's made pretty clear that Linux does still have some rough edges and isn't really appropriate for everyone's desktop yet.

I still like it, though... although I don't really dislike Windows either... heck, Macs can be fun too... I guess I'm just a technology geek. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Linux.

drivers,

Printers are the same as scanners; look for the supported models which are never the ones I want to buy. Most of them aren't *fully* supported.

Reply to
krw

Shut up Bart!

Reply to