Danaher buys Keithley

Yeah, one of the candidate's teams in CA evidenced that yesterday :-)

That's what the kids should learn, team work. It's exactly what they have to do later. This morning I sent a design review chunk on to the east coast, another engineer will add his stuff, and then it'll be sent on to the destination. Can't be done in PDF.

For word processing I agree, there OpenOffice has almost reached a point where it is quite compatible. "Almost" because it is a royal resource hog, it is not very useful on older hardware (MS-Word is). But spreadsheet? Yeah, I do use it for that but it can't do VBA. So it could block the more inquiring kids from using it for hobby electronics, with the HP toolbar and things like that. As for the database, forget it, not useful at all.

Many people there use, ahem, copied from the brother in law's nephew's friend :-)

An engineer from Africa once said that you can't use this newfangled stuff there anyhow. Has to be DOS software, "Africa-proof" as he called it, because power can be lost at any time without warning. No flickering lights, it just goes out. A UPS would cost several weeks of earnings, not in the cards.

Also, one can buy older versions at remarkably low prices at times, from liquidation stock. That's how I got my $10 mechanical 3D CAD.

Yes, but the migration was fairly painless because I could convert Works documents into MS-Office format. For bookkeeping I still use Works, and probably will for a long time. Does everything I and my CPA need. The newer versions are a bit buggy but 6.0 and prior are ok.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If I can assume you're well-paid over there you probably won't even notice the extra few bucks missing from your wallet. :-)

While Macs aren't quite as good of a value for the money as PCs are, I do think the oft-heard point that, "with Macs you get a lot more software built-in than with Windows" has some credibility as well -- for a lot of people (certainly not everyone), there is value in it.

Agreed, at least long-term. I mean, most companies can and should do a certain amount of R&D that isn't necessarily intended to add to the bottom line -- but clearly you need to be careful to insure that those indulgences don't start to eat away at the part of the company that's bringing home the bacon too. (Wasn't this part of the problem at IBM? Basic R&D was eating up way too much of the income?)

As you're probably aware, Google pretty much devotes one day a week to having their programmers just experimenting around with whatever they're interested in, with the idea that a small amount of it will turn into an income stream. I once had a co-worker who had worked at an (electronic design) place where he said their Friday afternoons were treated that way -- work on a new ham radio project or something, learn some new skills, etc.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

You, sir, need to visit Powell's Technical Book Store next time you're in Portland, Oregon.

Although I would think there'd have to be something similar in the bay area too...

College bookstores are often worth checking out.

Oh, but it's For The Children! Nothing is too good for them! :-)

I was half-awake this morning listening to a radio station out of Los Angeles where a high school has now made C the minimum passing grade (previously D). The "oppossing viewpoint" from one student they interivewed was that, gee, instead of making them re-do an exam/homework assignment/etc. if they didn't receive a C or higher, couldn't they instead just provide individual tutors or at least smaller class sizes for such students? Since clearly they need extra help?

I wasn't very persuaded. I'm thinking that in the vast majority of the cases what they really need is to work harder. :-) -- The teachers should be able to identify the very few who are truly working as hard as they can as still just not getting it.

No objections there, but note that publishers have been working very hard for years to destroy the used book market -- in college textbooks today, even in classes that haven't changed much in decades if not centuries (e.g., calculus, economics, etc.), most publishers now issue a new textbook every year or two where 95%+ of the change is nothing more than a simple shuffling of problem set numbers. Most annoying...

And of course publishers are in love with the "rent an eBook" concept that's been catching on quite rapidly at colleges -- within 10 years, I suspect that fewer than 10% of college books will actually be printed. (Most publishers will sell you your college textbooks as well, but almost always they're filled with DRM so there's a very good chance that sooner or later they're be "lost forever.")

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Fair enough.

Although your kid would be considered a bit of a square if everyone else on his team has to be doing the "Save in Word 97 format" jig just because you won't pony up for Office 2012. :-)

Yeah, I know, it would just be rather better if somewhere along the line they gained an appreciation for IP rights as well -- particularly when free offerings often are "good enough" if not as good as the payware versions. This is particularly true given how IP generation is becoming a larger and larger fraction of the world economy.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Electronics? What's that? They have an aisle of Windows books, though.

They also have an aisle of "alternate lifestyle" and another of "women's studies" books. Depressing.

Some pay for them, some don't. AIUI, one of the districts tried it here (it is a college town, so rather liberal). The budget went down in flames that year.

In primary and secondary school the district owned all the books. They used them for ten years or so. If you damaged a book beyond "normal wear and tear", you bought it.

I hate calling people on the phone. I'd rather drive across town and see them. No visual cues on the phone. With email I can answer when I want and after I've had time to think about a response. I don't use my phone much. ;-)

Mine is turned on but I only carry it when I'm out of the house. It's biggest use is to find SWMBO in the mall. ;-)

Reply to
krw

At 2X, I notice. I'd rather buy a couple of stationary woodworking tools than a damned computer.

Hmm, I guess I bought Agent-5. I can't remember any other software I've purchased (other than Turbo Tax).

I don't have too much of a problem with that. There should be some of that at all levels, IMO. When trying to squeeze every dime of productivity out of a company, it gets tough.

Not really, their problems were much worse than that. There were *many* complete failures that would have sunk any other company and management was as dumb as a stump. As maligned as Gerstner was, he saved the company after Akers did his best to kill it.

I had jobs where that's all I did - five days. That's when I got my largest raises and promotions, too. ;-) Those days are *long* gone.

Reply to
krw

Or one format. Any decent word processor can do .RTF (Rich Text Format) which has almost as many bells and whistles as word or open office, but even WordPad can work with it.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

DRM?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

krw

They shouldn't have booked a hotel that ran Macs. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Before Macs. ;-)

It was the Grand Hyatt in Grand Central Station, opening week. The floors above 15, IIRC, weren't finished. It's rather surprising to see nothing but girders when the elevator doors open. The elevators were seriously screwed.

Reply to
krw

You can just plug a lot of new printers into your network. Some wireless routers have a USB printer port. A couple of my US Robotics do. I recently repaired a HP HP Photosmart 2575xi printer with an ethernet port to my home network. I have installed several HP networked printers at a friend's business, as well. Makes it very simple to send something to sales, manufacturing or the CEO's office.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

going

(e.g.,

only

should

Intel was always good at getting ahead of themselves. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Of course. We all remember the 8086, (80186 was an embedded version with on-chip peripherals) 80286, 80386, 80486, 80585.999999993224492

and so on. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

going

(e.g.,

only

should

The *only* thing Intel has ever been good at is manufacturing.

Reply to
krw

certainly,

Printers with Ethernet ports. Most don't have Ethernet ports.

Reply to
krw

rs

The trick is to know when to quit. Tek I suspect waited to long, should have got out while they still had the cash to share aroung the shareholders/workforce.

Reply to
cbarn24050

going

(e.g.,

getting

only

the

should

Starting with the 4004? ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Linux

certainly,

NAS

It's a lot more common than it used to be. Three of the last four I set up, did. The other was a HP 7760.

I have something even rarer: an OKI Microline 186 nine pin dot matrix with USB for 8.5" paper.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

As a kid I always was a bit of a weirdo I guess. Like most electronics hobbyists back then :-)

How can you detect the real nerds when sitting for an exam at university? Easy: Watch for people who whip out a vintage calculator, lots of extension cord, a doorbell transformer and a hand-stitched regulator on perf-board.

True. But try to do that if the family barely has $150/month to pay for rent, food, medical and all other expenses. And 6-8 kids.