D3pak voltage regulator?

Does anyone know of a voltage regulator in the D3pak style? More specifically up to 15v and 1A output. Thanks for any leads provided.

Reply to
TweedleDee

is it surface mount?

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Yes

Reply to
TweedleDee

Just take the TO-220 style of an LM7815, trim the tab down, and bend the leads. That can be done with a simple machine for quantities. Re-mark and sell at double retail of TO-220.

Reply to
Robert Baer

We have a tool that does that, sort of a fancy pair of pliers. It compound-bends and trims the leads in one squeeze.

LM1117 is available in SOT-223, but it's going to be tricky getting a lot of heat out of any surface-mount part.

John

If you're just bending a TO-220, is there any real advantage over using an SMD-220, A.K.A. D2PAK? The thermal resistance from juction-case would be just as low, and you'd skip the steps of bending and trimming leads.

Of course, he asked for a D3PAK, unfortunately, I'm not aware of any in that package.

Reply to
Steve Wolfe

According to the pix I looked up, they're practically the same thing, except in the D2, they cut off the middle lead, and in the D3, they just omitted it:

Interestingly, they're both listad as TO-268.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

As i remember, the D3 Pak is larger than the D2 Pak, roughly as wide as the D2 is long (and length is greater also).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Does it also trim the tab?

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

No. Often we keep the tab, and bolt the TO-220 to the board with a small u-shaped heatsink, but still surface-mount it.

John

So your wonder-pliers account for the heatsink thickness as well? Not bad. Can you post a pic?

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Not unless you ask nice, which you didn't.

John

John, you're just being poopy. Whaddaya want him to say, "Pretty please with cream and sugar"? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'll be poopy if I feel like being poopy.

Pbbbbttttt!

John

Sounds like somebody making up his own "standard" again.

JeffM