D'uh... (low vision product)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 13:43:18 -0600, amdx Gave us:

I always thought there was something missing from your flavor profile.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

lol!

Ya, when I wrote that I was trying to think of an obscure ingredient to refer to, but I'm not aficionado of fruitcake. Mike

Reply to
amdx

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 15:17:47 -0600, amdx Gave us:

Cannabis, of course!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Mostly it is what they reckon the market will stand. Discounts only ever tend to get offered after you make it clear you will walk away.

I haven't met a disabled equipment saleman that I would trust further than I could throw him. One ramp salesman at our village hall I nearly locked in to make a point since he said he wasn't leaving until I signed his pressure sales contract. I told him to suit himself but hell would freeze over first and I was locking up to go home.

I can well imagine that 9 times out of 10 poor granny would sign on the dotted line just to get rid of him out of her home.

Subsidies can be a double edged sword and to that extent he is right.

If you know how much the average punter can just about afford *and* you know that the government will pay you a subsidy in addition then you can set a price that is *higher* than it would be without the subsidy.

Where disabled aids vendors are involved you have to count your fingers

We see the same problem in the UK (and even more so in Tokyo, Japan) housing market where a shortage of supply and an insane mortgage policy has led to house rapid price inflation in selected areas of London and the the SE that prices ordinary buyers completely out of the market.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I'm not sure that's the case here (US). I think much of it is related to what insurance (private or gummit) is willing to shell out. They

*know* what options you have re: The Competition. They also know that (chances are) your insurance (or "someone") is going to pick up the tab and/or already has a fixed price/benefit in place for the item you are purchasing.

Note how little PRICE competition there is between "covered products"... whether it is medical supplies, durable equipment, repair costs, etc.

There are also perversions of the system brought about by ridiculous policies. E.g., you can get equipment REPLACED much easier than REPAIRED! So, what incentive to keep costs in line as The Market should warrant?

Here, the trick is to get your Medicare number (for "covered" health care products) or "insurance policy" (for auto repairs, etc.). E.g., I referred to the auto-glass scams, here... if you have "glass coverage" on your vehicle, the companies will delightfully handle all the paperwork on your behalf AND give you a "free trip" as an incentive! ("Free"? Really? *I* may not be paying for it -- NOW -- but I am sure my insurance company is!)

Subsidies exist in these markets to address the needs of the clients availing themselves of these products. But, the subsidy comes *through* the client -- indirectly -- when the insurance is billed, etc. It's\ not "taken off the top" by some universal agency that applies it to all customers.

To some extent, this makes sense. But, only if The Market keeps pressure on all suppliers to eventually drive the "price" to its lowest practical value. Instead, the subsidy level *sets* that level!

To be fair, the costs of selling to that market tend to be higher. The customer isn't just walking into a corner store and buying a "sponge on a stick" but, rather, probably telephoning the manufacturer, asking all sorts of questions about the product, requires it to be "delivered", etc.

And, might often decide that the product isn't appropriate for their needs ("the stick isn't long enough to reach my ...." or "the stick is TOO long making it hard for me to use it on my...")

It took so long for a custom power chair to be built for a friend with ALS that she actually *died* before the chair was delivered! So, who eats the cost of *that* chair (the contract was canceled by her death)? Chances are, the next caller won't have ALS or will be smaller/larger, etc. So, any labor that went into the chair's initial fabrication is wasted.

For the magnifier, imagine that the folks buying/using it already have vision problems. Perhaps the batteries are leaking terribly -- yet, they can't see well enough to KNOW that. Or, they have installed Alkaline cells instead of NiMH -- but can't read the details on the batteries (because the magnifier is broken). This results in a call to Support that the vendor eventually has to fold into the cost of his product(s).

Or, the user *drops* the thing in the first week after purchase. Do you force the user to eat that cost? Or, do you quietly grumble and replace it for him/her -- else risk the "bad rep" getting around that "community" and costing you other sales.

As I said, I have no idea as to the actual basis (cost structure) behind these prices. But, the fact that you don't find Apple, Microsoft, Ford, etc. rushing into this business suggests it's NOT "highly profitable"!

Reply to
Don Y

The ad itself is well written; perhaps they read Elmer Wheeler's Tested Sentences That Sell. However they seriously FUCKED UP by having that GOD_DAMN F'ING pop-up.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Light the page up?

Reply to