cross-32 meta-assembler

You might find it easier and quicker to set up an XP virtual machine. I'm surprised you haven't got the odd legacy XP PC kicking around. You should certainly have some legacy activation keys around even if you have junked the hardware.

One thing that might be relevant is that some older installers with

16bit legacy components don't get on at all with Win7 so you might have to transplant the executables and settings from a working platform to get around it. I'd go virtual machine rather than risk the new software having improvements that get in the way of compiling legacy code. YMMV
Reply to
Martin Brown

My old XP Netbook runs the tool chain, but I'd like to be able to run it on other machines. I am reluctant to install a bunch of VMs and such on my working computers.

If I can get C32D, I can compile an old version and run my rom compare program to make sure every byte is the same.

Reply to
jlarkin

Then build an ESXi server and host the OS (and apps) on ONE machine in your organization. Then, access those machines from any machine (that has connectivity with the ESXi host).

Personally, I see no problem installing VMware (or VirtualBox) on EVERY machine and just accessing the actual VMs over the network (as network shares).

I use the ESXi server for convenience (I know *every* VM is accessible to it). Performance is suboptimal for a multimedia application; but fine for damn near everything else!

I also have VMware on each machine so I can mount the VMs (that are on a SAN that the ESXi server accesses) as network shares and benefit from better multimedia performance (cuz the code runs on my local machine instead of using my machine JUST as a "user interface" client).

Finally, I can copy (or create) a LOCAL VM on my current workstation if I want the best performance of all (assuming every machine -- incl the ESXi server -- is of comparable performance).

You can spend as much -- or as little -- MONEY as you wish, on these approaches. But, you *will* have to make an investment of *time*. In much the same way that you'll have to invest time to "build" a new laptop with your-favorite-OS-to-host-the-app.

[MS even has their own "solution"]

The difference is, once you've gone the VM route, you can (effectively) "make a new laptop" in a mouse click.

Reply to
Don Y

I have version 4, which was the last available - it will run in Win 7.

Reply to
JM

Can I get a copy of V4, probably C32D.exe? I'd be happy to pay for it, but I haven't found it for sale anywhere. The author, Peter Aske, seems to be gone.

I'll donate $100 to your favorite charity or something.

I have a nice tool chain around the assembler, for the 68332. New opcode table, source preprocessor, listing post-processor, rom image builder (68K and Xilinx code), rom compare, things like that. They are available if anyone is interested.

Reply to
jlarkin

Yes, I'll dig out the install CD and send you an image to keep you going (until you can purchase your own version).

Reply to
JM

That would be great. A couple of people sell the old version, possibly unauthorized. I've emailed them with no response so far.

Let me know when you have downloaded it, so that I can delete the file.

Reply to
JM

Got it; thanks.

The IDE version works, but Windows7 won't run the command line version.

Reply to
jlarkin

You will need to install a DOS emulator for that. MS removed it from Windows long ago.

Download and install vDOS. Create a link to vDos.exe and put it in the Cross-32 4.0 directory. Change the name of the shortcut to say cross32, right click and select properties, and set the Start in: to the Cross-32

4.0 directory.

Create a couple of txt files in this directory called autoexec.txt and config.txt. The autoexec.txt should contain @ECHO OFF and config.txt the two lines lines

TEXT = 40x100 ADMIN=ON

You should then be able to click on the shortcut and run the command line version in a "DOS" window. TEXT sets the windows size, so adjust to your liking. If the shortcut works with out the ADMIN=ON line then remove it. You can mess around with fonts and colours etc. in the config.txt file, as shown in the one supplied with vDos.

Reply to
JM

NB - I assumed you needed the gui version, if you follow my last post you should also be able to run your current version, just copy it's directory to the Win 7 machine and follow the same routine.

Reply to
JM