converting line level audio to resistance?

--
You seem to have missed the point, which is that If I respond to a
post in, say, seb and then, later, find that identical post in sed

As far as software goes, I think it\'s relatively easy to set up a
newsreader so it marks posts read but doesn\'t kill them.  At least I
don\'t have that problem, and I\'m using Agent.
Reply to
John Fields

I basically want to control a video game (Atari 2600 paddle controls are 1 MOhm pots connected to 5V DC) with my stereo.

See "paddles"

I don't think it has to be zero ohms exactly but a low amount.

Thanks

Reply to
Mad Scientist Jr

Now that's a cool idea. Let your stereo do the playing for you while you get on with your life...

The way your pots are connected suggests that your game is already voltage driven, so you would only have to amplify your audio to cover the 0-5V range. For starters try connecting your audio output directly to the paddle pin (and gnd to gnd) and see what happens.

Foo,D

Reply to
Deefoo

I'll just end this subtopic and say I was a dumbass and multiposted by mistake - I posted and then had a 2nd thought "maybe it would be better in .design instead of .misc" and posted there too. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Reply to
Mad Scientist Jr

That's an interesting idea - how would you get the circuit to max out at 1 MOhm and at a minimum, go to as close to 0 ohms as possible?

Reply to
Mad Scientist Jr

I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise wrote (in ) about 'converting line level audio to resistance?', on Tue, 20 Sep 2005:

Would you just take a minute to think about that? What comes out of the slider? a timing resistance or a voltage between 0 and 5 V? If it were a timing resistance, it wouldn't need the 5 V supply.

John Woodgate

I, on the other-hand, generally dislike cross-posting. In my opinion it comes across as saying that what is being said so grandiose that *everyone everywhere* should bask in its glory.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Why should others have to suffer the inconvenience you create just because you don't want to bother posting separate messages?

The point is that there is no universal agreement whether crossposting or multiposting is better. Some prefer one or the other, but you are totally out of line berating anyone just because they don't happen to agree with you.

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

You didn't do anything wrong. Ignore the net nazis.

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

No, it just means I didn't want the header cluttering up the screen. I may prefer to read and/or reply in a different group.

That decision is mine to make, not yours. Don't you always check your destination groups before sending? That's a good time to add or delete groups.

I'm not necessarily opposed to crossposting, I just *prefer* to see multiposting in most cases. It is entirely up to the sender to decide how he wants his messages to be handled, but I am strongly opposed to anyone berating people for making the alternate choice.

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

Okay, I get that, but it is not something you "have to" do, rather it is something that you choose to do. For the benefit of the original poster, there is probably no need to reply in more than one group, and if you think it will benefit the general readership of other groups, you can easily add them before sending.

You want someone else to make it easy for you to reply to mulutiple groups at the same time, and while I recognize a certain value to that, I am also offended by berating someone for not doing it.

It does that, but they are filtered out of the display, and if I want to find them I have to turn off the filter, try to remember what group they were in, scan through the clutter, etc.

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

But it's easier to pretend a crossposted message has been multiposted than it is to pretend that a multiposted message has been crossposted.

So go easy on us lazy folk, OK?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You would think people would have better things to think about & post on than complaining about whether someone cross posts

Reply to
Mad Scientist Jr

What are you trying to do, create an electronic equivalent to a carbon microphone?

...Jim Thompson

I disagree.  Suppose for a moment that an OP _wanted_ to post to
more than one group for the purpose of increasing his audience in
order to get a larger number of replies to his query.

I don\'t see where multiposting would have any advantages at all over
crossposting in that multiposting would:

A. Take longer to post.

B. Take longer for the respodents _and_ the OP to keep track of.

C. Confuse the respondents: "Hmm... I thought I just replied to that
   but I don\'t see my reply here."

D. Result in a number of redundant answers by posters who wouldn\'t
   know that the answer they posted had already been posted by
   someone else.

E. Require the OP to have to keep track of and visit many groups,
   instead of just one, in order to "round up" his answers.
Reply to
John Fields

--- You would think people would have better things to do (like paying attention to what they've been told and taking on some responsibility for themselves) than to complain about someone who complains about someone crossposting.

So far everybody's been pretty nice to you and tried to help you out with your stupid "project", but you really ought to take it to seb where it belongs. Or better yet, to alt.electronics, where a lot of maroons hang out.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

Whatever, man. In any case thanks for your participation.

Reply to
Mad Scientist Jr