Convert Odd Tube Circuit to Transistor

The original paperwork show a pickup coil, for the input signal, being

7 turns of wire, loose wound on a 2" former.

From my calculations, that puts it at 268MHz. So you are spot on about that.

But what is the significance of this frequency? Only thing I can find is that it is the magnetic resonance of salt!

Maybe it's a sweat detector for people who aren't working :-)

Ben Hartley

Reply to
Jim Porter

I wonder if any contemporary radio engineer got his hands on the "radionics analyzer," took measurements, and wrote up a report.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Tetrahydrocanabinnol!

If I thougt it had a purpose, perhaps the output could be used to drive a thyratron? but from what input signal and why I can't guess.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

For these tubes, you'll need negative grid bias even for Class A, and still more negative for Class B or Class C. The circuit runs on zero bias, without the special zero-bias tubes (like 3-500Z).

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have assumed that the definition for

  • class A is 360 degree conduction angle
  • class AB something between 180 and 360 degrees
  • class B exactly 180 degrees
  • class C something less than 180 degrees

Thus, for class B, it does not matter if the positive or the negative half cycle gets amplified.

In the original circuit, quite a large anode current would be flowing with zero input signal, which would be stupid, unless the anode voltage is keyed by the PTT in transmitter. When an input signal is applied, only the negative half cycle would be amplified.

With a large negative grid bias, no anode current would be flowing in the idle state and only the positive half cycle would be amplified.

The only real difference between these two cases is the idle power consumption.

Reply to
upsidedown

Actually the circuit runs NOT AT ALL half the time.

Much of the remaining time, the plate voltage is low enough that the bias is way off the normal usage curve.

The only possible use for this circuit is as a piggy bank.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

The point in classes above pure A is to raise the efficiency, not to decrease it. It can hardly be called Class C if the amplifier clips badly on plate saturation.

Anyway, as Don evaluated, the circuit is silly.

--

Tauno Voipio, OH2UG
Reply to