Convert comp PS to variable

There are exceptions, but generally, a computer supply makes a lousy bench supply. If a LM317 will do what you want, it's easier to start with a small transformer and skip the computer supply altogether. You might get better advice if you stated the voltage/current ranges you need along with other specs like what kind of current limit you need, temperature stability, line/load regulation, noise you can tolerate, etc.

Computer supplies make great...computer supplies. mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
mike

I don't know the specifics, but as I understand it a computer supply is designed to work at some minimum load, otherwise they tend to be fairly lousy supplies. So unless you want to drop 50W or whatever across a resistor, it's not a good idea.

Chris

Reply to
kmaryan

Marlin P Jones, and All Electronics IIRC have very nice 120V in 12V out switchers that are actually designed to put out substantial power it

12V. They're surplus so they're not too expensive.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Generally the minimum load has to be applied across the +5V output. The reason for this is that the feedback is taken from 5 Volts. Supposedly,

*some* supplies will work with a load of as little as 1 Amp.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

I have a two good quality AT computer power supplies (Ipec) and would like to convert them to variable power supplies for bench use.

Is this a simple as wiring an LM317 type circuit to one of the 12V outputs?

Secondly, is it possible to add the outputs for more voltage?

For example, the 5 and 12V outputs in one unit or the 12V of two units in some kind of series arrangement.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Darrens