Insulation of wires from computer power supplies

Yes, they are rated for the corresponding voltages, usually, 12V,5V and

3.3V.

Just have your local fire department in stand-by. Don't expect any UL approval either.

Reply to
linnix

I'd only use thinly insulated wires like that inside an enclosure, not for external power lines. I'm sure the insulation would withstand 115 volts, but it doesn't have much strength and would be easy to break or strip if it gets yanked on or rubs against the edge of something.

Reply to
kell

That he's too cheapass to buy it. ;-)

Tim

Tim Williams

So, the point of your post was?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

There are numerous wires coming out of 12V computer power supplies. I would like to know if their insulation is adequate for 115VAC connections. Does anyone know if they are required to conform to any standard? They are nice because tere are many different colors available in any bundle.

Ignoramus12063

I looked closely at some wires that I chopped off the 12v power supplies that were being thrown away at work.

The wires are actually rated for 300 volts.

Case closed, as far as 115V is concerned. I will use them for various projects, I really like having multicolored wire.

Ignoramus12063

Hint. 300V_what_. A wire rated for 300VDC, is _just_ safe for 115VAC. The normal conversion factor, is 2.25*. However you also need to know whether this voltage is the 'rated working' voltage, or the 'proof/test' voltage. If you realise that 'mains', can have some significant transients, this wire may be very close to it's maximum rating, and above it's design working voltage...

Yes.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

So, what is wrong with getting good functioning parts, such as these colored jumpers, for free if all you need to do is to pull out your snips?

-------------------------------------

-- Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for premises cabling users and pros
Residential Cabling Guide

-- ##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

no-spam Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup - sci.electronics.design - 90172 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

No, they aren't. It's not practical to make a wire with 3.3V insulation, with any common insulating material - insulation which breaks down at (say) 10v would be a very, very thin varnish, and certainly unsafe around the sharp metal corners inside PCs.

Reply to
Ian Stirling