Controlling relays over internet

Hello friends,

I have come across a small problem in which I need to control a relay over the internet. The concept is that if I press a switch from my home, a relay in my office should switch on. I know that there are some small embedded webservers out there which can be used for the job. The main thing is that I don't need a computer on either end. It should be some small piece of hardware which can be connected to the Ethernet. I came across serial to Ethernet solutions from Lantronix. Is that suitable for my application?

Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks in advance

-Suraj

Reply to
srj8219

Put together an Microchip ENC 28J60 + AVR or PIC.

Or reprogram an old ADSL modem and use one of it's gpio. Most of them have some form of ARM7 + DRAM + eeprom.

Reply to
sky465nm

This was discussed in this very group less than a month ago. Since you're already at Google, you should learn how to use their search engine:

JeffM

Circuit Cellar just gave a design award to such a device.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

:Hello friends, : :I have come across a small problem in which I need to control a relay :over the internet. The concept is that if I press a switch from my :home, a relay in my office should switch on. I know that there are :some small embedded webservers out there which can be used for the :job. The main thing is that I don't need a computer on either end. It :should be some small piece of hardware which can be connected to the :Ethernet. I came across serial to Ethernet solutions from Lantronix. :Is that suitable for my application? : :Has anyone done something similar? : :Thanks in advance : :-Suraj

There are some circuits on the web relating to this subject eg.

but I can't vouch for their workability.

Also some kits

Ross Herbert

Circuit Cellar just ran an entire contest based on the WIZnet W5100, which is 10/100 Ethernet plus TCP/UDP/IP in hardware on a compact module, with a choice of SPI or 8-bit parallel bus interface to a host microcontroller. Quite suitable for a project such as this, with the host processor running a simple HTTP server and possibly a DHCP client.

More information here:

and here:

Many of the contest entries themselves will be appearing in the magazine over the coming months.

-- Dave Tweed

Reply to
David Tweed

Many, if not all, E-mail clients can filter an E-mail message... when there's a match, run an executable. Eudora can certainly do that. Back before text messaging I used a trick like that to send an E-mail to my pager.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

mng

It won't take long before your boss figures out that your desk lamp coming on has no relationship to your attendance. ;-)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

So much for that keyboard.