Contact Closure Frequency Counter

I am looking to datalog a number of signals, most of them analog. One of the signals is a contact closure signal coming from a wind speed sensor.

I need a circuit or ic that can measure the frequency of the pulses which correspond to speed that then I will put into a datalogger.

Thanks in advance for any help

Reply to
TomM

I designed a product that did this as part of a wind turbine control system.

The wide range of speed of the wind sensor makes this a bit of a challange as when the wind is light the time between pulses may be long so that measuring the time between pulses is the optimum method of determining frequency and then when the wind blows hard the pulses come so fast that measureing the number of pulses in a fixed time period is the best way to go. The product I designed switch between the 2 methods so that best resolution was always in use.

There are many commercial versions of wind instruments made for sailboats. You might check them out. Many do go to data logging devices.

Dan

--
Dan Hollands
1120 S Creek Dr

"TomM"  wrote in message
>I am looking to datalog a number of signals, most of them analog.  One
> of the signals is a contact closure signal coming from a wind speed
> sensor.
>
> I need a circuit or ic that can measure the frequency of the pulses
> which correspond to speed that then I will put into a datalogger.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help

Reply to
Dan Hollands

Tell me more about your product.

So far most of the wind speed/direction sensors that I have found in my price range have some sort of contact closure.

I would prefer a dc generator for speed and a potentiometer for direction as I could use that directly.

Dan Hollands wrote:

Reply to
tmort

Tom Some windspeed sensors use an optical method (breaking of a light beam) to send pulses - little to no debouncing of the signal required and greater reliability.

pete

Reply to
TPG News