Question about booze (PA) OT

21 is drinking-age-legal in ALL the states.

Unless, as someone else mentioned, he was "mooning" or doing some other socially unacceptable act.

...Jim Thompson

"Winners never quit, quitters never win", Jack Bradley Budnik ~1956

Was he mooning the traffic below?

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to

Hi all,

I met (inter alia) this ostensibly perfectly respectable young guy of

21 from Philadelphia whilst I was in Mexico last week. He told me he got busted for drinking in his own (parents') house and dragged off for several hours in jail on account of it! As a Brit, I'm struggling to believe this. Can anyone in the US vouch for such a - curious - story?? p.
--

"What is now proved was once only imagin\'d" - William Blake
Reply to

This could have happened any number of ways: his parents called the cops, or he was being unruly in some way such as yelling out the window so as to disturb the peace, or making the wrong kind of phone calls, or drinking on the front porch in public view, or something else. One thing for certain is that there is much more to know than the fact of drinking in his parents' house.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

In the interest of completeness, I'll mention that the USA goes quite overboard on some PC issues. Frinst Alcoholism Is Bad, and anyone who allows a minor to partake is a Bad Person, and underage drinkers must be Scared Straight. Yeesh.

Yep.

My join-the-Air-Force-going-away party got pretty loud, and when the cops rang the bell _I_ got to answer the door. When I yelled "cut the music!" over my shoulder and got an instant response, then explained what the party was for and promised to stop annoying the neighbors, the cops ignored the open beers in plain view all over the room (not to mention the thick pot fumes wafting through the doorway) and went away.

However I should mention that this was back in 1970 CA, and I'd had a severe haircut to appease the recruiter...

That's outrageous, but PC-ism is more prevalent on that end of the country.

I mentioned to my eye doctor last month that I "self-medicate" to prevent glaucoma, and he winked at me and pretended not to understand. I just love AZ.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark Fergerson

[snip]

I don't know. Here in AZ 40 years ago it was perfectly alright to take yours kids to an Italian restaurant and serve your own kids a small glass of Chianti, no problem.

Try it now and you'll go to jail.

The PC crowd has done us in ;-(

Careful with the bragging... Win might try to move here ;-)

...Jim Thompson

"Winners never quit, quitters never win", Jack Bradley Budnik ~1956

Were he under 21 at the time he was busted, yes, I believe it. His parents would likely be arrested for supplying a minor.

--
  Keith
Reply to

I recall only one instance of this in 35 years as a PA resident, where the parents allowed their underage kid to have a booze party in their house with all his underage buddies on the "better here than somewhere else" theory, the party got loud and rowdy, and neighbors called the cops. It is otherwise pretty routine for parents to allow their underage kids to drink at home here, such as a glass of wine with dinner, and of course nobody cares and nobody gets arrested for anything resembling responsible drinking at home regardless of age. In this case, which made the news big time, it is likely that the wild party would have only been given a warning except that the parents got beligerent about insisting that they should be allowed to have wild underage drinking parties in their home and refused to stop the party, essentially forcing the police to stop it for them.

Now if you want something curious, how about the chap who told his doctor he drank 6 beers a day, the doc reported it to the PA Department of Motor Vehicles (reporting any medical condition which could impair driving is required by law), and his drivers license was permanantly revoked without any hearing despite a perfect driving record. The same thing happened to someone else who told his doc he ocassionally smokes a bit of pot. These stories also made the news big time, so now no one admits to their doctor how much they drink or if they use any illegal drugs.

Reply to
Glen Walpert

A post *supporting* political correctness, and the poster isn't drunk!? What the f*ck?

Tim

Tim Williams

What do you call some> Here in AZ 40 years ago it was perfectly alright to

Do you not see an implied acceptance of the practice of allowing one's own child a small glass of Chianti in an Italian restaurant to go along with the food? Is that not a "value"?

Do you observe that his "value" is now illegal due to a sweeping, "zero-tolerance" redefinition of what constitutes "contributing to the delinquency of a minor"?

Aaaand, _who_ forced that redefinition?

Now reread what Jim wrote; do you see your error?

I wish you'd get that reactionary stick out of your ass once in a while. But that'd require you to reject _your_ assumption that everyone must march to the beat of _your_ favorite drummer, now wouldn't it?

You owe Jim an apology, asshole.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark Fergerson

What makes you think he isn't? He posted as "Rich Grise, but drunk" in the thread "why does this newsgroup have beasts" an hour or so ago.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark Fergerson

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 09:43:58 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote: ...

You f****ng hypocrite!

Oh, wait. In order to be a hypocryte, you need to have ever had actual values in the first place.

I wish you would apply some of your analog wizardry to real life. Maybe divert a little to "common sense", maybe wonder, "What's really the basis of "political correctness", other than to ensure that everyone marches in lockstep to _your_ drummer?", that sort of thing.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Hm, good point. Though "an hour or so ago" is 9pm, shortly after my reply, which is another hour after the post I replied to. He could've gotten soused inbetween...

I suppose it's up to Rich to tell, if he even remembers posting this evening :-)

Tim

Tim Williams

Where? The PC crowd *are* the communists.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Actually, in English anyhow (I don't know for Italian), the emergence of the term "politically correct" marked the beginning of the backlash.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I can remember a time when using the phrase "politically correct" would get you labeled a communist.

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Agreed, but the "backlash" wasn't from the communists, it was

*against* the communists.
--
  Keith
Reply to