Conductance Curve Design Manual HTML format up and running

K.A.Pullen's Conductance Curve Design Manual is up and running on the Magma/Primus Server.

This will be of interest to valve / vacuum tube hobbyists.

Standardized characteristic curves for 63 tube structures with equivalent lists and indexes.

RL

Reply to
legg

That looks like it was a lot of work. Very nice work, we can add.

May I ask, is Phyllis K. Pullen, M.D., a friend of yours, or was she a client, in this case?

Reply to
Winfield

I see Phyllis Pullen is (was?) the wife of the late Keats A. Pullen. There's a nice bio and photo eight pages into the book. He would have been 91 or 92 by this time, had he not had a bad fall. I wonder who added the bio to his book? There must be somebody who cares involved in all this. There's a story here, I'm sure.

Robert J. Legg, are you gonna fess up?

Reply to
Winfield Hill

The 'Conductance Curve Design Manual' has been a bee that's developed in my bonnet since the late 70's, when I couldn't track down a copy to follow up a reference in an article. It stayed persistently on my list of references to track down for over 20 years, when I finally ran down a copy at McGill University, through computerized inter- library loan services in Ottawa.

I decided that nobody else should have to go through that kind of bullshit, looking for a soft-cover manual in a plastic spiral binding - rapidly disintegrating in whatever lunatic collector's library it might be found in.

The Pullens are very happy with it. Keats himself had been thrilled to run across an Asian clone of one of his books in Japan, before he died in Y2K. Just happy to see the knowledge and work available. The copyright business is merely covering ass. There's no money in it, if that's what you're wondering

The bio added on page X is pulled from the obit that appeared in the IEEE magazine in Y2K. It is rearranged slightly, as it's purpose in this case is not as an obit.

The proof-read pdf will be sent to the Pullens after any typo feedback is received from HTML viewers. There are some contextual issues, mostly revolving around comment re 12AU7 in the chart on page 33.

There's volunteers offering to host the pdf version for download, but I'm leaving the final decision on that to the family.

No I don't know them. Correspondence is by snail and e-mail.

RL

Reply to
legg

Well, I had assumed it was a labor of love. The html formulas alone show that! And the two-color graphs, awesome, how'd you do that?

Reply to
Winfield

Well, that's simple: you don't do it.

Look closely to either the 50K gif images actually in the html, or the linked 200K pdfs and you'll see there's not a simple straight colour (or line, for that matter) in the lot.

The published lithographs are of ink plots that have had letraset-style typesetting superimposed. I've tacked a short description of the process used below. Still, I'm satisfied that the appearance of the final result is usable and a fair representation of the original art.

If this proves not to be the case, there is still a copy of the original at the Canadian National Library, courtesy of the National Research Council's library, and the Pullens have offered to make a copy available, should the need arise.

The text, being searchable and not just an image, is probably more important,where errors are concerned.

RL

.................................... Scanned (in 2002) tiff copies ( 'kodakimg.exe' ) of these graphs at

150dpi show ghosts of the art on the reverse of the page, along with distortion, shadowing and slant, from forcing the quarto-sized volume with a fragile and loose spiral binding onto the platine.

Cut-out bitmaps ( paint ) got straightened within one degree, electronically brightened to remove the paper coloration, then gamma corrected to bring back gross detail (5meg) and saved as 'compuserve' GIFs (200 to 600K depending on shadow content) using 'msimager.exe', which thinks they're doubled in size at 72dpi, but preserves colour.

This is probably actually a defect in the MS software, as no other more recent or reliable program will report they're able to do it without bollixing up the colours, and visibly do so when allowed to attempt the transformation. The program is no longer issued or supported - nor will it function in SW more current than W98 2ed.

The shadows, spots and blemishes were then removed manually using generic 'mspaint.exe'. Text and damaged lines were restored using sections copied from better charts, and any detail narrower than one pixel in width was redrawn (100 to 180K). Then they could be published as PDFs.

I'm sure if Id spent some money on proper software; committed time learning the quirks of the imaging software I've got; or had the a copy of the original to sacrifice, destroy or to rescan on later-acquired hardware, the result would have been a bit more professional and the process a bit less error-prone.

Reply to
legg

WRT ghosts from the other side of the page, these can often be eliminated, or greatly reduced, by placing a piece of dark black paper against the backside of the page.

Reply to
Winfield

Yep. I keep a piece of black card stock beside my scanner all the time.

...Jim Thompson

If you truely beleive that how about sending a donation to

to show the troops?

I give them what I can, both in cash and by buying what I can use from their thrift store.

It costs them $10 per package they ship. A lot of the materials are donated, but they had to rent a tiny warehouse and pay the electric bill. All of the workers, including the founder are volunteers. Three of her sons are in the military and have served in Afghanistan or Iraq.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My one and only cash charity is St. Vincent de Paul Food Bank

They do a phenomenally good job helping veterans, the truly homeless and the poor.

...Jim Thompson

OK, Michael, thanks for the suggestion. I just got the ball rolling by giving $100. Conveniently, they use PayPal to take it right out of my bank account.

Reply to
Winfield

You just threw your money down the drain, the last thing the troops need are cookies and stockings from a bunch of do-gooders clogging up the APO system. They are so well fed and supplied it is beyond belief, stuffed to the gills with gourmet food and housed in extreme comfort with tons of entertainment and other accessories...sheesh!!!

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

As they say, patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel, and this applies in spades to a lot of these charities and businesses claiming to help veterans with filthy rich operators and damned less than pennies on the dollar going to any veterans. These scams have been ongoing for years and it is only rarely the fraud becomes overt enough for the prosecutors to move in on them.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I do the same thing, now.

Didn't own a discrete scanner in 2002. Just one of those old Sharp fax/copiers for the office (impact printing from carbon roll on plain paper).

Was on holiday at the time - my younger brother had one. Hooked it up to the laptop. Had the borrowed manual with me - it was just something to keep busy with in the evenings, at the time.

Wasn't too worried - I mean; two colours - what could be the problem?

Ignorance often seems to play a significant role in simplifying projects in their early stages, don't you find?

RL

Reply to
legg

That's interesting. We have a St. Vincent de Paul second-hand store nearby in Ottawa, and I drop by whenever I go to a restaurant down the street. Great place to buy good junk, for example an ancient car battery charger with a selenium rectifier, made in Canada (alas), in the original box. I thought they were just a local organization.

-- Joe

re

ee

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0|

=A01962 =A0 =A0 |

Reply to
J.A. Legris

I think that St. Vincent de Paul is an "order", but I'm not exactly a scholar of things Catholic ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Thank you for caring enough to help support our troops, Win. :)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How many tours of duty have you done?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Whatever. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gee Fred, what a waste of oxygen. Is there ANYTHING or ANYONE on this earth you do like, other than your own diseased ass?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida