Comparator with driver output

What do you mean with "could balance itself?"

I once needed to drive a cheap, slow 24V H-bridge using a logic output. I ended up using an LM324, with two pairs of paralleled amps wired as comparators for more drive capability. Probably the only thing I ever used an 324 for.

Reply to
Robert Latest

That whole generation - LM324, LM339 - got crazy if any input went a little negative. Crazy between sections.

And an LM324 opamp makes a horrible comparator, because internal current sources are shared among four opamps.

That whole generation is nasty.

Yup. It's a glorified LM358--Which Is Fiiiinnne.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(LM358 fan)

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The original 324 had that problem, but IIRC the 324A has separate bias generators for each section.

One shining virtue of those parts is that the inputs are lateral PNPs.

"Wait a minute", I hear you cry--"Laterals are super slow and have crappy beta!"

Yes, it's all true, but their BV_EBO is like 40V, so you can run the inputs way above the supply voltage with no issues.

Below ground, not so much. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The ones I use do. FIN1002 is pretty nearly RRI, for one.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Most work from below ground up to almost the + rail.

Yup. The FIN1002 datasheet has a delay vs. CM voltage plot that's pretty well dead flat from -0.4V to +2.8, running off a 3.3V rail.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's convenient to have a grounded LC tank that drives a grounded LVDS receiver with a zero threshold.

A general-purpose 10 MHz clock input, for example. A user might apply most any waveform and amplitude. Series DC block cap+Resistor+LC+LVDS cleans up nearly anything.

Good idea. Some instruments insist on TTL levels, which is a bit of a nuisance.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs