Compact Way to Organize SMD Parts

I saw the picture of a resistor being removed with tweezers. Picture #8.

I do use tweezers for placement anyways. Using tweezers to take resistors out of the compartment looks like no added fiddling. The tweezing starts at the box and ends on the board.

The box is compact with 128 compartments. ~$30.00 which is ok. However, I don't see how I can use the Digikey labels for semi's for fast labeling.

I'm still thinking of an alternative for fast restocking, labeling, searching and picking.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

From where I order they send the parts mostly in clear zip-lock bags. I put these in a drawer (standing) sorted by type and value. Besides that I use an MS-Access database to keep track on inventory. Since SMD parts usually come in quantities of 50 or even 250 pieces, it is nice to know if you already have a certain value in stock.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I might buy one of these. The price is excellent!

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I have a LOT of discretes. I buy them 1000+ per value.

I use the pretty black ones for semis ;)

Of course its only ever for prototypes; I wouldnt dream of treating parts that go to an actual customer like that (nor would I hand solder them)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Isn't dealing with the filed zip lock bags added fiddling too? Isn't picking one resistor from bulk stock in the zip lock bags added fiddling too? Or isn't picking one resistor from small cut band in the zip lock bags added fiddling too?

I've used and tested almost all the SMD storage methods and that one is the most practical I've found for small prototyping.

Get practical, shell $30 and just try it. You'll be surprised.

How about a pencil?

I bet you that with my boxes, I work at least twice or thrice as fast as you do with your zip lock bags.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

That's great for compartments full of chip resistors. However, I have ~50 different semi's, quantity = 1. Pencil labeling a compartment for 1 component seems a pita. A pita 50X for ~50 individual components with more on the way. One compartment per part, wasteful..

I'd rather 'pop' the label and the part in something when I receive the shipment. Sometimes I order 'guess components*' just to avoid Digikeys min order charge of $6.50Can. Often I don't use these components and want to file them fast. Zip lock bags let me do this. Rigid plastic cosmetic boxes aligned domino style might be better.

*Guess components: Best guess to alternate components in case of design changes.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Get little tiny ziplocs, and fold the label up so it fits inside the bag with the part.

I've seen them even smaller - it shouldn't take a minute to find some on google.

They're not anti-static (poly is notoriously staticky), but I'm sure you'll figure something out. :-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A Digikey label is ~ 2"x ~3.5". The closest bag on that link to fitting a full Digikey label is 3"x 4". Not bad.

Antistatic too @ 3" x 5"

Folding the Digikey labels... nahh.. Clipping for less bag bloat. A 2"x3", 2"x2", 3"x3" bags are possibilities with clipped Digikey labels.

If needed, a clear enclosure/bag containing the Digikey labels will allow bar code scanning :) But unlikely I'll do that.

Here's what I'm thinking about as an alternative to bags and compartment trays for a wide assortment of SMD parts.

Floppy disk jewel cases

3.81" x 3.87" x 0.33" Picture
0.21 cents ea.

Holds the Digi label, easy to open, clicks closed, room for cut tape, easy to see quantity, bar code scan option and fits in floppy organizers to allow flip searching.

Just wish it was smaller but that probably would require a custom run costing $$$..

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Yikes! I haven't seen a Digikey label before, just Mouser and Fry's.

Either could be folded up or just trimmed, and fit in the size of a return address label.

But if you want them that big, then go for it! :-)

(I was thinking "coin envelope" size - the coin envelopes I either saw or hallucinated many years ago would be a snug fit on your thumb.)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise