Compact Fluorescent Lamps...

"Joel Kolstad" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

these stupid games arent new, i remember the (never settled) arguement over whether the stated size of a crt was the visible phosphor area, or the size of the glass!!!

this stupid scam is still noticeable now with pc monitors,

i have a 17" monitor here by Fujitsu-siemens - it is almost 17" a friend has a sony 17" monitor with what is obviously a damned 15" tube in it!!!

Reply to
R10000

I am not sure about the US but Canada allows the seller to measure the total tube, not just the viewable area.

Reply to
not i

Oh yes, it wasn't great for the salespeople either.

At one point in my life I was a dreaded computer salesman. One time a customer came in and started looking around. When he asked me for help on choosing a monitor I showed him the choices, quoting the sizes. He then pulled out a tape measure and determined that the nice 19" monitor I was showing him was only 16" viewable! I had known that the sizes would be off, but 3"!??!? I was astonished and actually thanked him for letting me know. He bought the 17" monitor, which also measured 16" viewable...

TTYL

Reply to
repatch