Common Mode Input Voltage

I think this is right but wanted to make sure

I'm looking at the LM321 OpAmp

It says it has an input common-mode voltage range of V+ - 1.5

page 3 of this datasheet

I'm thinking that means that if I run this off a single supply of 5V and us e it as a buffer, that I will be limited to an max input voltage of 3.5V, a nd that if I go over, I will probably see an output of around 3.5V.... so i f I input 4V, it would basically saturate around 3.5V

Is this right?

so does my input common-mode voltage range tell me how close my output can get to the rail?

thanks!

Reply to
panfilero

Looks like the LM321 is just a single version of LM324.

Depending on your feedback structure, going above 3.5V can cause various bizarre effects, snapping to negative or positive rail, or simply indeterminate.

I wouldn't try it as a unity gain buffer above 3.5V input.

If you need that performance, get a CMOS R-R I/O OpAmp. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Not necessarily. Like Jim said, parts can do really oddball things when you exceed their input common-mode range. Some parts are better-behaved when you go out of the bounds (slowing down or losing gain). Some parts do the rail-snapping thing that Jim talks about.

Your best bet is to follow what the manufacturer specifies, and if they don't say _what_ the part does outside of bounds, _in writing_, then you should just not do that.

Yes. Basically, the common-mode voltage is the voltage limit on either input. Since it's an op-amp, it's presumed that the differential voltage will be close to zero, hence "common-mode voltage range" and "individual input voltage range" are pretty much synonymous.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Reply to
panfilero

Depends on OpAmp architecture. LM321 is NOT R-R, either input OR output.

LM321 basically handles 0-to-(Vcc-2*Vbe) input or output. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

That's a different spec. and will depend on how much current you draw. The spec sheet will also tell you how close the output can can get to either rail. (with perhasp more than one load resistance)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

(Top posting fixed)

That's not a question of input common mode range. That's a question of output voltage range. Look at your data sheet, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "no".

If that's one of the ones I'm thinking of, it'll pull down to 0.2V, but only up to +V - 1.5 or something. In that case you can use a pull-up resistor to get it to pull up to +V, in a power-wasting and wimpy sort of way.

--
Tim Wescott