Coil trips RCD/GFCI

ating

e it

CD. Any

w that trips an RCD?

one wire with the current coming out of the deive on another wire. If they don't match, some current is finding another path back to the power supply , which could pass through somebody. The RCD turns off the power to the dev ice when this happens.

k to the other end of the coil that doesn't pass through the two power lea ds, that could - if big enough, and sustained for long enough - trigger the RCD (also know as an earth leakage trip).

the coil, and wouldn't necessarily degrade or wreck the insulation.

urrent across it should not be noticed by the RCD.

han a miniscule amount at rf due to stray capacitance to the nearest object . Try to understand, or I'm pretty sure I'm going to replonk you.

e side to go to a safely ground, surrounding metalwork or whatever.

yup

tes a big enough voltage, it will find it own way back to that safety groun d or the surrounding metalwork. The other end of the coil will be connected to one of the wires going through the Residual Current Detector, and could well generated enough residual current difference to trigger it.

that's imprecise. The current finds its way from one to the other end of th e coil. The mains supply doesn't see any flow.

ross the coil at turn-off is high it will find it own way of completing the loop, not neccessarily following the route that is follwed when the vibrat or is running normally.

sure - just define 'the loop' with more care

und current, other than a miniscule amount at rf due to stray capacitance t o the nearest object" is invalidated by the observation that you are compl aining about, viz that the RCD trips.

no it's not. RCDs are far from perfect.

t loops, but the latter exercise might prove more rewarding.

I've done the latter. You're still struggling on that point. We'll see abou t the former.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

yes, I don't seriously believe that's what's happening here though.

your childishness doesn't interest

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

moving centrepiece. 240v 240 ohms measured, 10w (according to rating plate) . It works flawlessly, but often trips the 30mA RCD when switched off. 500v inuslation testing shows no problem. I assume it has no built in snubber. I'm not working out why it trips the RCD. Any ideas?

evice

he RCD about 50% of the time. It has a 2 contact BC plug which plugs into a lead with BC socket at one end & a 30mA trip threshold RCD mains plug.

, whereupon the low current spike would meet extremely low impedance mains, so I don't think it would cause a noticeable spike on the mains.

at current flowing through one one and compare it with the current flowing back through another wire, and trip if they aren't equal and opposite.

ooking for a current imbalance, not a spike as such.

Of course voltage spikes routinely gives rise to unbalanced current flow & consequent RCD trips where Y caps are used, but naturally they're not prese nt on this 1940s device.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:9d3a3d59-0f74-4b1c-8e88-5d4d8c54cd29 @googlegroups.com:

Just imagine the crap reduction in the group if we all simply ignored yours.

You were given the right answer. The opening of the switch causes an EMP as the field collapses. That is enough to cause a trip via imbalance in the monitoring circuit (device).

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I was

that obviously is not the right answer.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are obviously as stupid as it gets.

Do an experiment. Wind a coil around a core. Say 500 turns.

Place a DC source on it while near the device you have problems with is operating. It will set up a standing field. When you open the switch on that coil, see if it being proximal to the line feeding your problem device can cause a trip.

I am pretty sure it will, and then you have to search your brain for electronic knowledge all over again. Or ask here and spend days figuring out the facts. They seem to be devoid from between your ears.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

What makes you think that?

Have you selected some other response as the "right answer"?

If so, which?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It does seem unlikely, but we don't know much about the set-up that is giving you problems. You are better informed about the physical dispostion of the components involved so your reasoning would be of interest.

Clearly not. We were discussing your childishness.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

h moving centrepiece. 240v 240 ohms measured, 10w (according to rating plat e). It works flawlessly, but often trips the 30mA RCD when switched off. 50

0v inuslation testing shows no problem. I assume it has no built in snubber . I'm not working out why it trips the RCD. Any ideas?

device

the RCD about 50% of the time. It has a 2 contact BC plug which plugs into a lead with BC socket at one end & a 30mA trip threshold RCD mains plug.

est

st, whereupon the low current spike would meet extremely low impedance main s, so I don't think it would cause a noticeable spike on the mains.

ok at current flowing through one one and compare it with the current flowi ng back through another wire, and trip if they aren't equal and opposite.

looking for a current imbalance, not a spike as such.

& consequent RCD trips where Y caps are used, but naturally they're not pre sent on this 1940s device.

Voltage spikes combined with enough capacitance can give rise to unbalanced current flows. It would take quite a lot of surface area and rather narrow gaps to create enough unintentional capacitance to trip a mechanical RCD.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Ground fault interrupters are not DESIGNED to react to spikes but in practice they do..

as another poster explained, the common mode rejection at RF is not perfect.

Put an RC snubber across the coil or across the on/off switch and you should be good to go.

makolber

ith moving centrepiece. 240v 240 ohms measured, 10w (according to rating pl ate). It works flawlessly, but often trips the 30mA RCD when switched off.

500v inuslation testing shows no problem. I assume it has no built in snubb er. I'm not working out why it trips the RCD. Any ideas?

te device

ps the RCD about 50% of the time. It has a 2 contact BC plug which plugs in to a lead with BC socket at one end & a 30mA trip threshold RCD mains plug.

test

irst, whereupon the low current spike would meet extremely low impedance ma ins, so I don't think it would cause a noticeable spike on the mains.

look at current flowing through one one and compare it with the current flo wing back through another wire, and trip if they aren't equal and opposite.

re looking for a current imbalance, not a spike as such.

w & consequent RCD trips where Y caps are used, but naturally they're not p resent on this 1940s device.

ed current flows. It would take quite a lot of surface area and rather narr ow gaps to create enough unintentional capacitance to trip a mechanical RCD .

correction: capacitance TO GROUND.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

with moving centrepiece. 240v 240 ohms measured, 10w (according to rating plate). It works flawlessly, but often trips the 30mA RCD when switched off . 500v inuslation testing shows no problem. I assume it has no built in snu bber. I'm not working out why it trips the RCD. Any ideas?

rate device

rips the RCD about 50% of the time. It has a 2 contact BC plug which plugs into a lead with BC socket at one end & a 30mA trip threshold RCD mains plu g.

CD test

first, whereupon the low current spike would meet extremely low impedance mains, so I don't think it would cause a noticeable spike on the mains.

e look at current flowing through one one and compare it with the current f lowing back through another wire, and trip if they aren't equal and opposit e.

are looking for a current imbalance, not a spike as such.

low & consequent RCD trips where Y caps are used, but naturally they're not present on this 1940s device.

nced current flows. It would take quite a lot of surface area and rather na rrow gaps to create enough unintentional capacitance to trip a mechanical R CD.

Not so much a "correction" as a foolish assertion. As I've been trying to point out to you, any current is part of a current loop, and if the capacit ance directed the current around a path that went through only one side of the RCD, it could trigger the RCD.

The RCD doesn't care about "ground" as such, but about having equal current s coming and going through the leads it is wrapped around.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to