Coil losses

There are. However, once you need higher working voltage (not max breakdown) and certain agency ratings the selection shrivels down to just a few really fast. Or in some of my cases it shrunk to zero.

Major fireworks? Maybe he should have used a consultant 8-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I think Tektronix uses that method in their diff input scopes. If you

Silicon delay lines are horribly noisy. I don't know this particular chip and it is very expensive but everywhere I found silicon delays I ripped them out and replaced them with analog "home-brew" versions.

Tempco does not matter if you complete the servo loop. Or in modern speak feedback via a 2nd path across the barrier. It's needed anyhow because analog methods are not very linear by themselves.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It was originally advertised as a pure ECL propagation delay device. The data sheet lists the propagation delay jitter as around 1psec - typical - which is regular ECL jitter, coming from Johnson noise and the edge speeds involved.

I worked out a calibration scheme which involved generating pulse-width modulated waveforms and digitising the DC levels with a decent A/D converter. I figure that one could calibrate 128 delays in about 1msec.

This was back around 1996 for the MC100E195, and we never actually built it, but it looked entirely practical.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The problem was likely cooling. There's no good way to get the heat out of a thin piece of FR4, with the heat flow in-plane.

lunatic fringe electronics

With modern SMD packages such as DPAK I have that challenge often. 3oz or 4oz copper out to an area where you can sink into a metal mount with a large enough surface usually solves it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I asked him this afternoon. The problem was the permativity of the FR4 and capacitance.

Reply to
krw