code light signalss

Where can I get a circuit design to make a circuit to light two mini- incandescent bulbs on my radio-controlled air craft carrier's topmast signal lights to send the message,"Where is the sixth fleet". Power source is two "D" cells.Size and should be minimum.

Reply to
emprosania

The world wonders.

John

Model makers are as off-the-wall as stamp collectors... just doodle him a circuit ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

It can be done with a PIC micro controller and a a power MOSFET. Part cost maybe less then 10 $ However you would have to program the PIC ,and that required some experience and a programmer.

Reply to
panteltje

If you designed your own with a microcontroller, the "minimum size" would be quite small. If you need someone else to design it for you, I'd suggest looking at what HAMs call a "memory keyer". You should be able to find a kit or fully assembled model that would spare you all the microcontroller programming. You'd then follow the directions to program your message into the keyer using an actual key and hard wire the keyer to play it back continuously (some kind of beacon mode).

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Nah, just us a Bare Bones Board. They're what, $20 for the board and $20 for the cable to program it.

Or you can go the Arduino route:

Use a pic10F200 six pin micro. with just 2 LED's on the GPIO port you could make a table with a bunch of RETLW 's and a delay between each loop. It would be quite easy really.

If know where I can get the signalman light codes for each letter, I'll post the pic assembler code here for you free of charge...

Reply to
maxfoo

Nah, it's a historical reference.

'To confuse enemy cryptanalysts, radio messages contained nonsensical phrases or ?padding.? But when New Jersey?s radio watch decoded the message, it retained the end padding: ?Where repeat where is Task Force

34? The world wonders.?

Unfortunately, the second sentence appeared logical in context, and when Halsey read it, he went into shock. Chester Nimitz, a gentleman to his core, had seemingly jabbed Bill Halsey with a bitterly sarcastic rebuke.'

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

=2E..or the Phillips LPC902

Reply to
mpm

In addition to the other ideas already mentioned: You could use the output from a Radio Shack recording module (# 276-1323) to drive a mosfet or bipolar to flash the lights. You'd need to record the morse at about 15 wpm for the message to fit - the module stores

20 seconds of sound. The playback would be at the same speed. You would need to provide 9 volts for this.

A memory keyer gives you more message room and control over the playback speed, but costs more. A micro gives you ultimate control, and is cheaper - but you have to know how to program and use it.

With all three ideas, you need to use a mosfet or bipolar to flash the lights. The lights take more current than the module, keyer, or micro can supply directly. And you need to provide the proper voltage to whichever device you use.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Actually, a PIC operating from 3V *can* drive grain-of-wheat incandescent lamps directly, with a series resistor to drop the voltage.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I came across "Secret Messages: Concealment Codes And Other Types Of Ingenious Communication"

in a used book store. It is full of such "coding." No way is the book worth $30. Geez, I thought it was a stretch at $2. However, I now know the prison gang coding schemes without having to risk my butt (heh heh) in prison.

Reply to
miso

It's usually in the Pacific.

--
Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Great! That's good news, and might work for the op. If it will work directly from a PIC, it might work directly from the keyer or the module, too.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

On Jan 13, 9:59=C2=A0pm, mpm wrote:

Well, It's snowing here in New England and I got the day off :)

So... Now I have some time to kill...

Here is the pic code...for the pic10F200...ENJOY!

;14-Jan-2008 snipped-for-privacy@punkass.com ;for 'sci.electronics.design' ;------------------- list p=3D10f200 ; list directive to define processor #include ; processor specific variable definitions

__CONFIG _CP_OFF & _WDT_OFF & _MCLRE_OFF & _IntRC_OSC ; cblock 0x10 d1 d2 endc

#define dot 0x01 ;. lsb led on, msb led off #define dash 0x03 ;- both leds on

main movlw B'01000000' ;bit7=3D0 enables sleep mode option ; movlw B'00001000' ;port line direction 1=3Din 0=3Dout tris GPIO ;copy w tristate, gpio outputs ;

clrf GPIO ;Where is the sixth fleet call W_ call H_ call E_ call R_ call E_ call pause call I_ call S_ call pause call T_ call H_ call E_ call pause call S_ call I_ call X_ call T_ call H_ call pause call F_ call L_ call E_ call E_ call T_ call pause btfsc STATUS,7 ;SKIP IF GPWUF bit is clear. bcf STATUS,7 clrf GPIO sleep goto main

;-------Subroutines-------- pause call delay call delay call delay call delay retlw 0x0 A_ ;.- B_ ;-... C_ ;-.-. D_ ;-.. E_ ;. movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay retlw 0x0 F_ ;..-. movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay movlw dash ;- dash movwf GPIO call delay movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay retlw 0x0 G_ ;--. H_ ;.... movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay retlw 0x0 I_ ;.. movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay retlw 0x0 J_ ;.--- K_ ;-.- L_ ;.-.. movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay movlw dash ;- dash movwf GPIO call delay movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay retlw 0x0 M_ ;-- N_ ;-. O_ ;--- P_ ;.--. Q_ ;--.- R_ ;.-. movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay movlw dash ;- dash movwf GPIO call delay movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay retlw 0x0 S_ ;... movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay retlw 0x0 T_ ;- movlw dash ;- dash movwf GPIO call delay retlw 0x0 U_ ;..- V_ ;...- W_ ;.-- movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay movlw dash ;- dash movwf GPIO call delay movlw dash ;- dash movwf GPIO call delay retlw 0x0 X_ ;-..- movlw dash ;- dash movwf GPIO call delay movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay movlw dot ;. dot movwf GPIO call delay movlw dash ;- dash movwf GPIO call delay retlw 0x0 Y_ ;-.-- Z_ ;--..

delay nop ; Delay =3D 0.1 seconds (1E,4F) movlw 0x1E ; Clock frequency =3D 4 MHz movwf d1 movlw 0x4F movwf d2 delay_0 decfsz d1, f goto $+2 decfsz d2, f goto delay_0 nop nop nop clrf GPIO ;turn leds off retlw 0x0 ;-----------------------------

END

Reply to
maxfoo

If you're using incandescents, you might want to put a medium- value resistor across the switch, to keep the filament warm, but not lit up; this will increase bulb life dramatically and maybe help with the switching edges.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I thought they were at a party with Britney and Paris. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That would be news. The 6th Fleet is usually in the Mediterranean, with headquarters on a ship usually anchored in Gaeta, Italy.

Of course the nice thing about Navy ships is they can go anywhere the water is deep enough.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Oh, right, I was thinking of the 7th.