CMRR

Halls have been used, mostly in the ancient past, in expensive and not very accurate AC power transducers, but not, as far as I know, in utility-worthy meters.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

voltage. Their effect on an aluminum disk is proportional to the product including the phase angle, in other words the complex product of voltage an d current. The meter has fixed magnets that create drag making the rotatio nal speed of the rotor proportional to the power being drawn.

the relative phase, then finding the product though the EM effects on the d isk.

e and current and finding the product. It is easy to find various circuits to multiply two quantities. It's not hard to find various ways to measure voltage and current. Async voltage to PWM converters for both the voltage and the current taps, then use an XOR to find the instantaneous product. Smooth the pulses and you have an analog signal proportional to the instant aneous power.

og can't go through zero. The bias would be subtracted out at the end pote ntially creating a problem of a small difference of two large signals.

I guess you missed the post about brain storming the approach. Not looking for perfect or even obviously practical. Just looking for novel.

I'm glad you understand the utility of digital electronics. Now you just n eed to learn to use them.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricky C

You'll need to handle negative power, when V and I are opposite in sign. Grab the signs before taking those absolute values!

A hybrid (keep the wheel) with some turns-counting in silicon is an elegant compromise.

Reply to
whit3rd

The wheel is easy to tamper with. Just provide a magnetic field and it works like the brake slowing the meter. You can even use metered power to create the magnetic field and have the power company pay for it.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C