CMOS OpAmp Design

Hi, I was looking for a CMOS OpAmp circuit which doesnt need need any special Common Mode Feedback circuit for stabilizing the bias point. Anybody has come across a circuit like that ?

Please let me know regards Jean

Reply to
alertjean

How to do it is right there in your textbook ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Take a look at some of the CMOS op-amps that RCA made back in the stone age. They had a very low transistor count.

Reply to
MooseFET

Do you mean fully differential CMOS opamp?

Reply to
miso

Yes, I was looking for fully differential design.

Jim, which is the textbook you are talking about ? GHLM ?

regards Jean

Reply to
alertjean

Unless you have something really lame such as accurate resistor loads and a diff pair driven by an accurate bias current, I don't see any way to do such a design without common mode feedback. Basically, to do such a circuit without common mode feedback, you need to be able to look at the circuit and predict the bias conditions, specifically the voltage at the high impedance nodes (gain nodes).

You can do common mode with switch cap, but that doesn't mean you don't have common mode feedback.

Reply to
miso

As "miso" points out, I don't think a full differential OpAmp can be done without a common-mode loop; though I think (without putting pencil to paper) that you _may_ be able to do it if you have a ground pin. (But I think that can be argued as a variation of a common-mode loop.)

...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Even with a ground pin, I don't see a way to establish a common mode at the outputs of the op amp without some sort of feedback, with the one exception I stated in my previous post, i.e. well known current and resistor loads. High impedance nodes tend to go to a rail without feedback.

I suspect the original poster isn't phrasing the question properly.

Reply to
miso

[snip]

On further thought, full differential _has_to_have_ a common-mode loop.

CMOS-specific textbooks I own...

Razavi Laker Sansen (presented a seminar with Sansen in Melbourne in '86) Allen Holberg Gregorian Temes Johns Martin IEEE paper collections: Gray Hodges Brodersen Gray Wooley Brodersen

plus numerous general analog design texts.

I collect almost anything published... one good idea obtained is worth the price ;-)

...Jim Thompson