Class D audio driver with external mosfets

Any competitors to this product:

?

Any comments on the above?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I don't know if this competes but it's something else to look at..

D from BC snipped-for-privacy@comic.com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

at..

THD = 10%? At 25 watts? You can't be serious...?

The idea was to have external mosfets, with a cheap-ish driver. That way, if the mosfets blow, or need extra cooling, action could be taken.

I kind of liked this:

but then I noticed the Patent they have on it. d'OH...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

There used to be the analog class D ICs from Zetex and few other vendors, however it seems like everybody went digital.

  1. It works.
  2. It is specifically made to force you to use DirectFETs.
  3. It is quite tricky to make it work as good as advertized, however it is possible.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DirectFETs, eh? So no IRF530s, even if paralleled?

I don't suppose it's possible to use something like this to drive external mosfets (instead of speakers directly)...?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Possible. However the THD and the power efficiency will suffer significantly (compared to the DirectFETs).

This one is closer to the boom-box class, whereas IRS2092 pretends to be high fidelity. What are you trying to build?

Vladimir Vassilevsky

60Wpc audio amplifier for home party use, maybe adapt it to a homemade car stereo amplifier once I get a good-enough boost converter built.

Class D would allow me to use a smaller (cheaper) transformer... just so long as it sounds reasonable:

Reply to
mrdarrett