Steal power from a max232?

What would be the drawbacks to tapping the +/- 10v produced by a Max232 chip to power a comparator or two?

Reply to
dansimon

Dont know about the comparators, but I have used the -10V for the contrast control for my 14-pin LCD display and it works well.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Bong

The 232 chips are designed for a bit of cheating since they were created in the era of serial mice. If you can design your circuitry to run from a single positive supply, it is easier on the 232 chip. That is, the negative supply is just the positive supply run though an inverting charge pump, so the negative supply is softer than the positive supply.

Reply to
miso

Mice are still serial! :)

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

How about: You won't be able to get the MAX232?

I've powered op-amps from the generated voltages so a comparator should also work.

Reply to
MooseFET