Clarify Frequency Multiplication

An ideal diode will mix, too, but the math is messy. It's easier to pretend that a device is square-law and analyze that.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I once did an analysis using higher order terms. One interesting thing was the appearance of parametric amplification terms at the signal and LO frequencies.

I used to do things like that, for fun, when I was younger and sillier ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Interesting... did you can get parametric gain from a regular diode or an ideal diode?

You can get power gain from a diode, almost any kind, including PN, varicap, pin, or ideal. You can also get power gain and shock-line behavior from ceramic caps.

Well, don't grow up too fast!

A little nonsense now and then Is relished by the wisest men.

- Willy Wonka

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Just a cooked up transfer function with terms up to fifth order, coefficients just guessed. About as big as I could do with pencil and paper. No computer, back then.

At the time, I was working on intermodulation interference on multiple user radio sites, so it was sort of germane, a sort of rusty bolt model. It didn't help the project.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse