Circuits Challenge For Non-Morons

aka idiot proof automotive jumper cables

Electronics interposed between jumper cable clamps that automatically switc hes the correct polarity regardless of battery terminal attachment of clamp s. Must recover from/ survive full short circuit overload on heavy duty bat teries. Circuit requires no intervention from user other than clamp attachm ent. There is at least one product on the market that does this, but overly comp licated in my estimation.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

tches the correct polarity regardless of battery terminal attachment of cla mps. Must recover from/ survive full short circuit overload on heavy duty b atteries. Circuit requires no intervention from user other than clamp attac hment.

mplicated in my estimation.

Seems silly. What's the maximum current? ~50A? What happens when they hook up to one battery and then short the clamps?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

witches the correct polarity regardless of battery terminal attachment of c lamps. Must recover from/ survive full short circuit overload on heavy duty batteries. Circuit requires no intervention from user other than clamp att achment.

complicated in my estimation.

No- try 500 amps ss. It's supposed to survive all that abuse. There is a pr oduct on the market that does all this, about $50 retail.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

switches the correct polarity regardless of battery terminal attachment of clamps. Must recover from/ survive full short circuit overload on heavy du ty batteries. Circuit requires no intervention from user other than clamp a ttachment.

y complicated in my estimation.

product on the market that does all this, about $50 retail.

OK The only way I can think to do it is to sense the voltage(s) and then have a DPDT relay. (A 12V 200A relay is ~$200 on DK) So my budget is blown. Got a link to the product?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ly switches the correct polarity regardless of battery terminal attachment of clamps. Must recover from/ survive full short circuit overload on heavy duty batteries. Circuit requires no intervention from user other than clamp attachment.

rly complicated in my estimation.

a product on the market that does all this, about $50 retail.

Right- it needs full on voltages of correct polarity to complete the circui t, other wise it interrupts the path.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

e:

ally switches the correct polarity regardless of battery terminal attachmen t of clamps. Must recover from/ survive full short circuit overload on heav y duty batteries. Circuit requires no intervention from user other than cla mp attachment.

verly complicated in my estimation.

s a product on the market that does all this, about $50 retail.

uit, other wise it interrupts the path.

Here are some for only $25

They beep at you if you do it wrong. Then you just need a SPST switch.

For me the fewer gizmo's on a product the more I like it. Once the electronics 'breaks' you throw that set out. (I wanted to get hand operated (crank) windows on my car, but was over ruled by my wife.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If one can't figure out how to properly use jumper cables, one is a moron.

That's who those products are for.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

It IS silly. Another inane bloggs post. Killfile him. ...Jim Thompson

           To those of us in my age bracket...

           GREEN means inexperienced and/or incompetent.

switches the correct polarity regardless of battery terminal attachment of clamps. Must recover from/ survive full short circuit overload on heavy dut y batteries. Circuit requires no intervention from user other than clamp at tachment.

complicated in my estimation.

Response means you can't begin to do it.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I like the idea of making it arc proof. It's always a trick to keep the clamps from shorting when you've removed the cable from one battery while it's still attached to the other battery.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I can't even imagine how that would be a challenge.

Reply to
tabbypurr

[snip]

Of course I can. But the only help I'd give you would be to show you the way to the door >:-} ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

ly switches the correct polarity regardless of battery terminal attachment of clamps. Must recover from/ survive full short circuit overload on heavy duty batteries. Circuit requires no intervention from user other than clamp attachment.

rly complicated in my estimation.

Anyone that thinks this one is a challenge needs a brain transplant.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I want to say that at least it's about electronics. In general, I think we should encourage posts about electronics.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ly switches the correct polarity regardless of battery terminal attachment of clamps. Must recover from/ survive full short circuit overload on heavy duty batteries. Circuit requires no intervention from user other than clamp attachment.

rly complicated in my estimation.

I don't need any help from the likes of you.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Non-morons don't need this.

lunatic fringe electronics

The trick is to disconnect the negative from both ends first. (assuming negative chassis).

--
mikko
Reply to

It is impossible to make anything idiot proof, all it does is breed bigger idiots

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Anyone who thinks this is viable has no business hooking up high current cables to any power source or load. I doubt that there is a battery made that does not declare terminal polarity.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Ford starter relays are like $20 each, building a bridge using with 4 of them is going to cost too much.

but if it just has to be open if the polarity is wrong that would be a way to do it.

Maybe they've found some MOSFETs.

--
     ?
Reply to