Circuit challenge

really? How come the input matches the output exactly in spice?

You tell me that..

We'll talk later.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Really? I see no graphs, not test data etc..

Tells me nothing. Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Drat! I made a sign error. There's really no need to involve the phase-shifted second signal at all, just an op amp and diode and some resistors.

You measure the difference signal from the source to a doubled-when-positive and ground-when-negative clamp output.

is corrected now.

Reply to
whit3rd

Not really precise, but it uses only three components.. an LM324 and two RNW4's (no diodes).

Simulation:

The remaining op-amp could be used to generate the inverted signal, if wasn't present.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

How could you possibly not see it? Take that signal amplitude down to 250mV and then get back to us.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It prevents the amp from railing itself, which helps the crossover distortion a lot.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

This idea?

It needs an output buffer because the output impedance goes from very low for negative inputs to ~23K for positive outputs.

Best regards,

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The challenge was for fullwave output with one section.

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

We know. The challenge has been met. We're talking about other stuff now. Sometimes the other stuff is even vaguely related to the OP's topic and/or electronic design.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I posted this on the 2nd, but have seen no comment...

The switch opens/closes at zero crossing of V2.

I've used this very scheme to do synchronous detection of signals. ...Jim Thompson

one opamp (and diode) as an active half wave rectifier and then added that to the inverse (in a 2nd opamp). I went looking, but couldn't find it (in

2nd edition) If it's a 'requirement' that both phases be used.. then that might work... he'd have to add the two signals by some "clunky" method w/o a 2nd opamp.

Isn't that just hiding a whole bunch of extra stuff it will need.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

An analog switch. Didn't the OP allow "extras", except for an extra OpAmp? ...Jim Thompson

Don't the select inputs of the switch needed to be driven by some kind of comparator?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Just AC-couple and bias the control at threshold ;-) ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

That has a limited input of up to ~.6 volts however, it shows that it can drop to near 0 volts and maintain good results.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Just use the op amp for the comparator function, and an SPDT switch, was also suggested (I'm not happy using an op amp without hysteresis, but if the switch is a good enough 'low impedance', it DOES work).

CMOS analog switches aren't usually happy with slow-slewing control inputs, there's some power-supply glitching to be expected. And individual MOSFET switches usually have inconvenient clamp diodes for gate protection; the 'bias at threshold' idea is quite idealistic!

Reply to
whit3rd

Depends on your definition of "low impedance", but this occurred to me while doodling yesterday, waiting for my wife at the beauty shop...

(The circuit actually outputs the greater of two inputs, sinusoidal or whatever.) ...Jim Thompson

You can do the same sort of thing with one phase, using a RRO amp with a single supply. Starting with your schematic, put another 1k resistor from the summing junction to the K of D1, and take the output from K just as you're doing now. That makes a unity-gain inverter for negative signals and a series 2k resistor for positive ones.

The advantage is that it doesn't have to slew from the negative rail when the input goes negative--it just has to slew through one diode drop.

Yours needs a negative supply because of the bipolar input on the noninverting input, so you can't avoid the bigger slew artifact at phase

1's negative-going zero crossing.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Oh, and ground the noninverting input, of course.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs