Circuit and Ornament

As others have shown, it's not that rare a topic, you just have to know how to search for it.

As an engineer I've always found the Gilbert cell to be a thing of beauty, even though its usual schematic drawing isn't quite symmetrical. But its function has a multiway symmetry that you don't see in many things. OTOH, you need to know how the circuit works to know what I'm talking about.

I think others gave lots of examples, but the art in them were peripheral (unrelated) to the electronic functions.

-----

Ben Bradley

Many components made by Sun Microsystems have some odd features, which was clearly where the PCB designers had artistic license. I forget what it is now. Ask on comp.sys.sun.hardware - someone there will tell you how many Sun boards have this sort of thing. I'm not sure if its disney names, or something like that.

Reply to
Dave

.... "Electronic circuits as an unintentional Ornament".

Frank--Many years ago when I was working at en electronics firm, a collegue obtained a large box of surplus mica capacitors. These were the buff-colored rectangular axial-lead units with unit specs deliniated in a series of colored dots on one side of the capacitor. The body color was quite pleasing, sort of a "desert-sand" look, and the uniform-sized color dots were quite visible.

He built a small coffee table with a thin raised edge, arranged the capacitors with their leads cut off flush in a very pleasing and interesting tiled pattern with the colors showing, then poured a clear epoxy or polyethylene solution over them. The result was a durable finish with the capacitors embedded down in the clear poly (something like those old liberty-ship hatch covers used as table tops in seaside reataurants).

Strangely belive it, I thought it looked rather elegant.

Cheers--

Terry--WB4FXD Edenton, NC

Reply to
Terry