change name of group

No, she was in a rush. This hotel was booked by a company. Very fancy place.

I don't mind smaller rooms as long as things are clean and it's not in a really rough part of town. I mean, I don't carry my whole lab with me :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

We stayed in a place on the Maine coast that didn't even have a local POTS POP. Inet was a long distance call.

Reply to
krw

you

I'm sure the company didn't appreciate the meal ticket either.

I don't like bathrooms where there is only 2sq.ft. of floor space. One we stayed in last summer had a 5'x5' bathroom, with the toilet in front of the tub. The sink was outside in the room. Good thin it was only one night.

Reply to
krw

you

We've stayed in one where there is no TV and no telephone. But a bench outside with a barbecue pit. Best place we've ever stayed at. Highly recommended:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I was going to stay in a place in S. Carolina later this year, until I found they only had *dial-up* i-net. For the better part of a week! Would be like being in prison. Staying in a nice Country Inn with free WiFi and wired. Maybe I'll bring a router and access point.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

you

won't

That's a winner.

Reply to
krw

you

won't

There's a place like that about a mile north of Tombstone... everyone gathers at the fire pit in the evening to talk and sip a few ;-)

We go annually to the OK Corral shootout celebration and amateur performance of HMS Pinafore... which was playing at the time of the original gunfight ;-)

...Jim Thompson

A few years bac k, I joined the 'club' that was sponsered by one hotel chain, because we were having a conference there, and all members of the 'club' got free WiFi, as well as free calls from the room. Also got a nice snack on check in... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

For a while there, I was staying a lot at Wyndhams, mainly because I was a member of their 'club' and could get some good deals. I especially liked getting the free breakfast in Costa Mesa - buffet but with chef cooked omelettes and waffles, usually in the $15 a person range!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I joined a "club" at a hotel in Richardson, Texas. It was the only way to get a drink.

Reply to
krw

That's what I was recalling when "club" came up ;-)

...Jim Thompson

           Liberalism is a persistent vegetative state

I agree, $2.99/day is reasonable enough... particularly if you're only staying a few days. I like the Homestead Suites charges where it's $5 per stay, regardless of the length of your stay.

Question for old(er)-timers: When TVs (and then color TVs) were the Next Big Thing in motel entertainment, did any of them charge for watching them? Like -- even in the '80s still -- some airports had "pay per minute" TVs built into big comfy chairs?

For that much they should have given her the rest of the pork roast. :-)

Probably those who are spending at least a week or so there, or (more likely) guys who are taking their families with them on the "business" trip (quite common if you go to, e.g., IEEE conferences -- guy attends the conference during the day, wife and kids play tourist).

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I don't remember anything like that for TV, just the 25¢ slot for the bed vibrator ;-)

Yep.

...Jim Thompson

If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn\'t be called research...
                    -- Albert Einstein

I only remember some hotels that had rooms with and without TVs and possibly the ones with TV had a higher rate. Where they really dinged you and maybe still do is European hospitals. After an army accident a submarine guy in the same room and I went around that and contacted a local TV shop. Since we were both tethered to IVs they came for a "visit" and dropped off a TV set for a reasonable fee.

For conferences that works but for biz trip often not so well. I rarely know the severity of a problem before getting to the client. Most call consultants as a last resort, when the roof is already on fire, and then I often get back to the hotel very late. All I need then is a sandwich and maybe a beer. Not exactly my wife's dream of a dinner ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Was she any good? ;-)

Are the exercise rooms for the families too?

Reply to
krw

staying

Two years ago I was in the hospital for a few days. The TV was "free", one for each bed. Given the cost of the room they were too embarrassed to charge for the TV. ;-)

Thirty years ago the TV was $5 a day, or some such. My wife was in the hospital for three weeks when my son was born.

Better than I had last night. None. No sleep either (27 hours straight with a round trip drive to Atlanta in there).

Reply to
krw

staying

likely)

Better stay in a hotel next time. An engineer on an oil rig once told me how he drove home after a very demanding job. Fell asleep, car rolled numerous times, down the side of a mountain. He said the rescue team was quite surprised that it hadn't exploded and that they found him alive, barely.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

staying

Big

likely)

I would have, but at 4:00AM getting a room seemed senseless. Well, it did at the time. I took a wrong turn on the way back and didn't notice I was on I75 instead of I85 for 25mi. Things didn't look familiar (though I haven't driven that route at night) and someone moved ATL (the "Ah-Ha" moment).

Reply to
krw

Yes, cute. Thanks!

James