Ceramic capacitors for higher voltage switchers

Thanks! Much easier than trying to crank that out of a sales channel.

Well, you wouldn't do it with one cap :-)

Did that as a kid, never again, it resulted in a major bang and ceramic pieces flying across the room.

Hey, we haven't gotten into politics and global warming in this here thread. Yet.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I remember one old TV-tuner where every chip resistor was sitting on their edge. And it was really tight, never seen board so full of components. They were about 0603 size. I think it was Alps but not 100% sure.

-E

For a TV tuner you can do that because of the sheer production volume. Any setup or NRE costs pale compared to the total machine runtime. I once had a hybrid produced at a tuner factory. I thought our qty was high, until I saw the place. A room the size of a soccer field, tons of machines hissing and clanging 24/7. >90% of the output was always the same TV tuner and our li'l runs of maybe 10k at a time were mere drops in the bucket. At night there was almost nobody other than a night guard, all fully automated.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Now, wait! Have you seen John Larkin's collection of mutilated TO220 MOSFETs? So if there is a tribunal he should have to go first ...

--
SCNR, Joerg  :-)

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I was a teenager back then and couldn't believe it, stood there in awe. If was the same sort of green as a Heineken bottle, with tiny bubbles frozen inside.

Unfortunately some other stuff bit the dust when that happened and I didn't have a shortwave power amp for a while. Among other things a chunk from the plates of an air-variable capacitor went AWOL (I figured that must have been where the ozone stench came from) and its shaft would no longer turn. And the coax to the wattmeter was a goner.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Agreed, when Xc is considered the ripple votlage would be HUGH for a power supply even at 5X that frequency.

The LED reference was in reference to a glow in the dark capacitor if your should manage an oscillation like I had. :)

Reply to
mook johnson

Pick and place IS industry standard practice...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Lawrie?

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Joerg could get a patent on that - a one time LED. :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

LaSED (Light and Sound Emitting Device)

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Too much prior art. I remember seeing a data sheet for a rather similar NED (noise-emitting diode) several decades ago. Hook it up properly, and it makes a bright light and a loud noise... once.

Dave Platt

But pick and place on edge isn't.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

OLED?

When we were in high school (LEDs were new) a friend commented that he had LEDs for a long time. To show me, he grabbed a glass signal diode in a pair of long-nose pliers and jammed the leads of the diode into an outlet. Sure enough, he had a light emitting diode. He then complained about the reliability.

Reply to
krw

Define "edge"; methinks a 3D rectangle has 6 edges..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Twelve. But you meant faces. ;-)

And you also know he meant the narrowest face (the face with one dimension the longest and the other the smallest possible length across the rectangle, out of the three dimensions which define the rectangular prism).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Yep. And if the XYRS file points to a location for a 0603 part and there ain't no 0603-compliant pad at that location the telephone apparatus ringeth :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

=20

(>50=20

hot,=20

a=20

=20

Actually 12. Count them.

Reply to
JosephKK

Squealing on your coconspirators won't get you a lighter sentence!

Michael A. Terrell

What? No plea deals?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Plea all you want. There are no 'deals' in this economy! ;-)

Michael A. Terrell