Ceramic capacitors for higher voltage switchers

Gents,

Anyone know what sort of ripple the FK22 series from TDK can take, say a

0.47uF/250V? I need some ceramics as output caps of a SEPIC that is variable up to almost 100V, with some gusto (>50 watts). Can't use electrolytics because of a harsh environment.

Stacked SMTs are great but boutiquish and expensive. Anything >0.47uF/>100V in thru-hole seems outlandishly pricey.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well, take a guess at power dissipation and find the damping factor (X7R is what, 1.5% or something?). If you're running hot, low power is probably a good idea, like 1/8W or something. And use lots of copper (ha, like you ever have the space).

So stack them horizontally instead? :-)

Or if you're cramped for horizontal space, maybe you could make a capacitor daughterboard so they're stacked horizontally, on a vertical board...

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Just solder the caps in so they are on edge (vertical); one may be able to use 4 in parallel this way and use the same PCB board space.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I wish they were physically a tad larger.

The client won't like that :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Can't do that, it must remain machine-solderable.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Use hermetically sealed military versions then.

The difference in performance is worth the difference in price.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Pretty much very labor intensive assembly work. Not very good for any automated process, so not good for anything that has intentions of large volume production.

For short run, hand assembly though, no problem.

Vertical daughter cards are the way we did it in the HV lab.

50 Watts is a lot of loading for a ceramic cap bank to manage the ripple of.
Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I know, and I do that. But it's often not easy to find some for higher voltages with low enough ESR _and_ being available without huge leadtimes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Haven't used these particular caps but I have run some X7R 250V surfamce mount 2220 caps at 1A p-p ripple current at 10Khz. No noticable heating at all.

A also run a 500V 2225 .47uF caps on the output of a 150V rail that can put out 75W (300Khz ripple) with no noticable heating.

You really have to hog some current on the ceramics to heat them up.

That said I did have some x7r .1uF cap with teh yellow epoxy turn red when a

5A audio amp IC started oscillating into it. It was in an RC damper on the output. Scratched my head for a while trying to figure out why that cap got hot. I had thought before that ceramic caps were nearly ideal. :)
Reply to
mook johnson

I can't use these large SMT sizes in this case because of thermal stress issues, cracks, and all that.

That's one reason why I asked. I've managed to turn capacitor ceramic into bubbly green glass. But that was several MHz and several amps through just one. The usual, had only one, did a quick experiment, "Come on, hang on another 10 secs" ... *PHOOMP*

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Rock | Joerg | Hard Place ;-)

Reply to
miso

The designs that get chucked over onto my desk are nearly always like that :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You have been reported to the 'Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Components'.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

You can get capacitor characteristics from TDK.

The resistance, reactance and voltage/temperature dependencies are illustrated graphically.

A 0.1uF 100V X7R part in 1206/3216 body size, 3216X7R2A104M, exhibits an internal series resistance of 30mOhms, over the range of common power conversion frequencies.

RL

Reply to
legg

I bet pick-and-place can do it..by using a small dot of adhesive to hold a cap that is placed, another dot nearby for nest cap, etc (all dots could be placed first and then the caps). Solder paste mask can be same as if one cap laid down in conventional form. "Never" say "never".

Reply to
Robert Baer

Oppenheimer wannabe?

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Sounds trivial but 30mohms times 5A squared is .75W on a 1206 cap. You now have made an LED. :)

Reply to
mook johnson

At 100KHz, that would be 80Vac across a 0.1uF capacitor - a little more ripple than is anticipatd here.

The internal series resistance of most LEDs is some order of magnitude higher.

Degrees of triviality are possibly more relevant electronic units of measure than most appreciate. Especially in this news group.

RL

Reply to
legg

Fred Abse Inscribed thus:

:-) I've had ceramic caps get hot enough to melt the solder and fall off the PCB.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Sure, everything can somehow be done but once you deviate from industry standard practice -> $$$.