CD player, simple pitch/tempo control

I want to be able to change the pitch and/or tempo of music played on a CD player. This used to be a fairly common facility with some cheap CD players but is now difficult to find. Does anybody know how to do this in a simple way? I wondered if the crystal oscillator in the CD control circuitry could be replaced by a variable oscillator for instance or maybe the existing crystal could be padded perhaps. I am after a pitch/tempo swing of about +/- 15%. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Philip

Reply to
philip

If you want to do it in real time, somewhat difficult, but if it is not realtime google for audacity or cooledit software, they have pitch/tempo functions

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

No, I want to do it real time with a portable CD player. Can it really be that difficult? Its been done before with a ghetto blaster type machine.

Reply to
philip

Its not a matter of "if it can be done" its a matter of "can it be sold"

The manufacturers of older equipment tried something that did not sell well.

So they dropped it on the newest versions.

So, either search for what you want or use what you can get.

Your choice.

But complaining about "what should be easy" will do no one any good.

donald

Reply to
donald

I'm not so much complaining but pointing out that since it was possible to commercially implement such a function on a cheap machine then it should be possible to do it as a one off exercise on one's own CD player. I have looked everywhere for ideas as to how to do this in practice but have, so far, drawn a blank.

Reply to
philip

Have you opened up your CD player to see what chips are inside ??

Again, its not "if it can be done", its a matter "if it can be done at all" with the unit you have.

With out knowing what you have, this question can not be answered.

After knowing the unit you have and the chips inside, is still may not be able to modify your unit.

Now if you want to re-engineer your unit......

donald

Reply to
donald

It is available in better karaoke machines about 500 us$

Reply to
JosephKK