Car Rust Neg vs. Pos Chassis

That makes sense as that is something that drastically changed(type of seat and height/position). Strange I have never had it happen in any other vehicle. Since I get shocked even if I drive short distances it seems to make sense that it probably isn't the driving.

Reply to
George Jefferson

It amounts to what the seat fabric is comprised of. Sheesh, this stuff is elementary school basic level stuff. You charge up unless you get grounded. When you touch ground, you get shocked because the ground you touched was a fast discharge point.

The charge is from the trib-electric effect from you rubbing against the seat, while being isolated from ground. You gain charge..

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

I thought you could do that only in December.

Reply to
ehsjr

Not if you listen to car dealers. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

http://www.flickr.com/photos/materrell/
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Tom says the main problem is the tires.

Tom suggests static-discharge strips that hang off the bottom of the car. Wow, I haven't seen those things for a looong time.

Reply to
Beryl

...you mean that i do not have to go on a diet?

Reply to
Robert Baer

...or Crazy Eddie.

Reply to
krw

You may be thinking of differing types of galvanic corrosion or selective leaching and the effect of various cathodic protection methods.

The effect can be aggravated by temperature gradients and aqueous solutions produced in and around the internal combustion engine; for example; in the mounting joists using poorly selected materials, or in a widely-braced water cooling system.

As electrical contact to the frame will be made in many places using dissimilar metals (both not being steel or iron or aluminium), you could expect a galvanic potential to develop that might be over-ridden at times, by the correct polarity of normal operating current flow, or regularly, by the introduction of a sacrificial anode.

As the effect is going to be localized, it will probably be identified at the early stages of any product's life, and suitable methods of avoiding it adopted. The automobile is not a product in the early stages of development, but I can imagine each generation of designers demanding to know 'why I can't do that'.....

RL

Reply to
legg

here...

The one on news:rec.crafts.metalworking? ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell