can I use general DAC chip to replace multiplying DAC chip?

my product need use multiplying DAC and need it's multiplying function,But I difficult to buy it,can i use non-multiplying dac chip to replace it? what is difference between multiplying dac with non-multiplying dac?

Reply to
notstop

a non-multiplying DAC's output also can controlled by a reference input voltage or digital code. what is difference?

Reply to
notstop

The big issues that I could see in a "regular" DAC that may keep it from performing like a multiplying DAC are:

  1. The performance may stink as the reference is brought down to zero.
  2. You may have a very fancy 2- or 4-quadrant multiplying DAC.
  3. The frequency response from reference to output may be disappointing.

All of these issues could be checked with careful perusal of data sheets, and possibly with experimentation.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

If you say it *needs* an MDAC why are you asking here ? Either it *needs* an MDAC or it doesn't ! We can't tell you. It depends on circuit function.

FYI - an MDAC's output is variable - controlled by a reference input voltage or digital code. A DAC's output is fixed for every input code.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I think you need to post a more detailed description of your application. We could go round and round in circles like this forever. Post a schematic in a.b.s.e

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear