Can I replace 11.5VAC 12.5A with 15VAC 1.25A?

I'm a bit confused about this Amp business. This is what I currently have

Input 120VAC 50/60Hz 1.25A Output 11.5VAC 12.5A

It broke. So I'm looking to replace it. I found a replacement for about $80.00. Too rich for my blood. So I did some homework and found this...

Input 120VAC Output 15VAC @ 1.25A

I am not concerned one bit with the 11.5VAC vs 15VAC difference. What concerns me is the 12.5A vs. the 1.25A. Is this really true? How can such a small unit output so much current? My original inputs 1.25A and outputs 12.5A. But the replacement that I found only outputs 1.25A. I'm guessing this is going to get me in trouble.

So if anybody can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Also, I have a HUGE (about 3 lbs.) coil (transformer) that outputs

12VAC. I have feeling this will do the job quite nicely, I'll just have to hide it out of site.

Thanx in advance.

jg

Reply to
jg

Hi,

as of my experience - longer time ago - you could not do !!

Your maximum power consumption for your old one is 11.5 VAC * 12.5 A ~

133 Watts. For your replacement it is nearly 18 Watts.

So if your load on the replacement is about over 18 Watts, your Transformers Fuse will break.

Use a replacement with the same power and also the same voltage ! Power may be more but not less than the ~133 Watts. But your voltage should be the

11.5 V

If you only change the fuse to a higher current (about 12.5 A) you propably burn down your home !!

Buy a replacement by giving the purchaser the old one for reference, if you are not sure.

Regards, Lothar

Reply to
lothar.behrens

I'd figure out a way go gin up a 12.5A load at 12V. You're sure that the original is AC out? Then if your transformer - well, three pounds isn't very big.

Do you have any other information on the transformer?

You could do some tests, like with car headlight bulbs, to see what kind of current your existing transformer is good for, but use a 1.25 or, at the max, a 1.5A fuse in its primary.

Otherwise, you could look around for surplus dealers - they sell stuff like that by the pound.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You didn't mention that the output of your original device is 45 KHz. This is not a simple transformer. You will not find a replacement at your local parts store and your big transformer is not going to do the job. Spend the $80.

--
Dan Hollands
1120 S Creek Dr

Because it isn't actually a *transformer* it's a swtich mode power supply.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Well you should be. A halogen filament lamp's life will be lucky to be measured even in hours if you overvolt it that much.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The web site specifies *240* volts input, not 120 volts. Were you running the thing at 120 volts input? Maybe that's why it broke? (Its a switcher, so it may be able to run at 120 - what do the instructions say?)

And the job is ... what? Light some halogen bulbs? How will the "big" transformer will be protectd from overheating? How will the bulbs (assuming that it is a halogen setup) be protected from over or under voltage? If you have considered those points - great. If not, they need to be addressed.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Thanx to all who replied and prevented me from burning down my house. I found the exact replacement for $32.00 which is within my budget.

Thanx again.

Reply to
jg

Thanks for reporting back! It's always a pleasure to find that one's suggestions have had worthwhile results. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise