Can anyone ID this component?

Hopefully, someone here can help solve this mystery. Someone asked me to fix a 12V DC cooler that stopped working. On a hunch, I removed a small white plastic block that was mounted to the heatsink and shorted the circuit. The cooler did work without the part, but after extended testing the cord got fairly hot, as it was probably drawing too much current. Unfortunately, I couldn't find that part in a catalog or figure out what it was exactly to replace it.

All I know is that the component has a small white plastic casing-- about 1cm long, about half as wide, and about half again as thick-- with two leads on one end and the following printed on it:

JWC II - 70250V

72

I'm guessing that it's a thermal resistor or possibly a thermal switch. I don't really need that exact part, just to figure out what it was so that I can find a suitable replacement.

Thanks!

Reply to
RPGSpree

** Badly worded.

You mean the device operated with the part SHORTED out.

** Very likely it is a " thermal fuse " or "thermal cutoff" rated to open at 72C.

You will need to measure the DC current draw and buy a thermal fuse with a slightly higher amp rating to prevent self heating.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks! Now if I only had a DC amp meter...

Reply to
RPGSpree

** Next time, try " sci.electronics.repair " -

for all consumer appliance questions.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Put a 1 ohm power resistor in place of the short & measure the voltage across it.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr