call blocker device suggestions?

They stop ringing when the call is blocked, unless they're on a second phone line (i.e., a different phone number).

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Reply to

"Microsoft" scams?

I haven't gotten one of those, maybe since I seldom answer junk calls. I think if I got one of those calls I'd be suspicious about how someone knew so much about MY computer.

I have gotten junk calls for home security systems, extended vehicle "warranties", and credit cards.

As to answering machine messages, most of these callers don't leave messages, although I have gotten unintelligible sounds (like too many people talking) and dial tone. The few that do usually DON'T wait for the beep.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"He is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who
believes what is wrong." --Thomas Jefferson
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

But not forged very well, so CID is still useful. The junk is often obvious like "V2345679845". Do you know anyone with that NAME?

I have that (blocking individual numbers) available, and use that when possible (like for charities).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"He is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who
believes what is wrong." --Thomas Jefferson
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

| But not forged very well, so CID is still useful. The junk is often | obvious like "V2345679845". Do you know anyone with that NAME? |

I've had calls from myself and last week I had a call from directory assistance. :) Most calls I get at least seem to be local, but I don't pick up unless I recognize the caller ID, so I'm not really sure.

I saw an interview recently with the man who started nomorobo. He said something to the effect that "if a halfwit like me can easily compile a blacklist of phone numbers the government could certainly do it." Good point.

Reply to
Mayayana

Per David E. Ross:

Knowing absolutely *nothing* about law enforcement, my totally-uninformed, unencumbered by any knowledge though would be honey traps:

- Recruit a bunch of people with phones (state employees?) who agree to participate

- Issue them special-purpose credit card numbers. There are credit card accounts that will give you a virtual one-time-use credit card number each time you want to buy something.... so the control aspect is there.

- When they get a suspect call, they go the whole route. Sooner-or-later, money changes hands and the ultimate recipient of the money becomes the target.

If they're in the USA, done deal. Otherwise ? .... maybe extradition?

Like I said at the start, I know nothing.

But I would bet a week's pay that if those same robocalls were threatening some highly-placed political figure the perpetrators would be dead or in jail within a week - maybe within 48 hours if the figure was high enough.

--
Pete Cresswell
Reply to

And then put your business on it, if you supported the wrong candidate. No thanks, we've got quite enough of that sort of thing already.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

When you're at home, put your cell phone on call forwarding to your landline.

Reply to
John S

Verizon digital also has a spot where you can enter up to (10?) phone numbers to block. You don't even get one ring.

Reply to
John S

The works if you want to be rid of an ex-wife or girlfriend. The telemarketers use different numbers very often and you really don't get a lot of repeats.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Get an android app. that does it (free). forward the whielisted calls to your home phone

Reply to
G. Morgan

After reading all of the suggestions here, this unit is what I decided on except version 2 because it looks like I can add numbers manually. I still have some questions about it though that perhaps you can answer:

1) Will my caller ID still work? I'm hoping to install the unit in front of my cordless phone base unit to which a pair of cordless phones are linked to. The cordless base unit has an announcing caller ID. 2) I'm probably going to run it in "advanced" mode. If so, I'm hoping the phone won't ring at all unless it is a white listed number. Is that the case, or does it still have one audible ring? The whole reason I'm getting something like this is to stop ALL ringing from non-wanted numbers. An elderly person in the house is constantly awakened by the spammers, even after one ring, so I'm hoping advanced mode won't let the ringing through.

To all others here who have provided suggestions: much appreciated but there have been issues with some of the recommendations. For one, I don't have any cells or android operating phones, so those apps wouldn't have helped. Also, the website that screens the unwanted callers is not available for my area. Verizon block is apparently only available as an extra monthly charge, which I sure didn't want to add as I just dropped two unnecessary extras recently. Unfortunately, my cordless Uniden phones don't have the ability to block calls on their own. So that meant either changing my number and/or getting a private number which costs, or upgrading to FIOS which I definitely didn't want to do, getting rid of Verizon altogether and going with someone else or getting an inbound device that would do the screening job. I chose the latter both due to the simplicity, cost and convenience. Now I'll see if I made the right decision. There was another device I looked at first called the Teleblocker, which didn't even need caller id, but it is not being made anymore and I wanted something still manufactured and could be returned if problems or doesn't work like I want it to.

Thanks to all, Bill

Reply to
bill ashford

Yes, caller ID still works. I have an announcing "base" on my system too and it says the incoming phone number.

If it's like mine there will be one ring even for blacklisted numbers. For it to receive and decode the caller ID info it seems like it winds up having to let one ring thru. However, I'm running mine in parallel with the rest of my phones. I think you can insert it in series in which case it might not send anything thru, and hence no ringing, unless it's actually allowing the call to get thru. It depends a bit on how you want to set up your answering machine and where you want to put it and where you have your wires running, etc as to whether it can be set up parallel versus serially. I didn't want to rearrange a whole bunch of my phone stuff to do the serial setup so I just stuck it on an open jack.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

There's a timing diagram here for Caller ID. Packet burst is after the first ring.

Gotta love student projects.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Seems like it would have been better to send the caller ID burst first. Any idea why they didn't?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Interesting. I didn't know there were variations.

"CALLER ID DELIVERY TYPE

Caller ID signaling is sent by the local phone company's central office in either of 4 different electronic formats.

Bellcore 202 signaling is sent between the first and second ring in the countries such as the US, Canada, Mexico, Australia and others.

Caller ID is sent *before* the first ring by British Telecom (BT) in the United Kingdom. Similarly, Caller ID is sent before the first ring or after a very short ring burst using ETSI signaling that is prevalent in eastern and northern Europe.

In countries or regions where older central office equipment is used Caller ID is delivered via DTMF (touch-tones). Contact CallerID.com for a different version of this unit if Caller ID is delivered via DTMF signaling. "

So apparently there is a workable scheme, where the CallerID is delivered before the ringing voltage.

It's possible the first presentation of Ringing Voltage, could "open" the CallerID module to listening to the line. If the CallerID is listening all the time, if there is a noise burst on the line, you might get random displays appearing on the LCD display of your CallerID box. The error checking may not be fancy enough, to stop all error-filled packets.

Still, if BT can do it, why can't we ? :-) It would be interesting to see if they patented their idea :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Maybe I'll still be in luck then. Although I have the phone line split

3 ways, one for two phones and the last for my DSL/ phone combo, only one phone combination has ringers turned on, and that's the Uniden base and cordless phones. So hopefully if the device is serial and first in line there, no ringing of the phones unless the number is ok.... or so I hope.

If it doesn't, then I will have to return it and go with the Teleblocker. That one doesn't need caller ID, but everyone calling has to enter a 1 or 3, but they get right through if so. I would have gone with this one first, but no longer manufactured and I didn't want to chance it.

Thanks again for your help here. I expect the device will be arriving today.

Bill

Reply to
bill ashford

BUT NoMoRobo is un-available and thus useless if you ain't gottza mobile phone. I gots a land line to protect...i do not give a sh*t about a stupid mobile line..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Sorry, that is not correct.

Reply to
Ken Blake

In message , Paul writes: {}

{} As opposed to the LC display, I presume ... (-:

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/
Reply to

You should be better educated on a topic before you propagate incorrect information. Nomorobo definitely DOES work on land lines, period.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway