C-multipliers and simple circuit to measure npn beta.

Following rumors found on audio DIY forums, we measured a number of power types. Some weren't very bad, but they varied greatly from part to part. Two power parts made it onto our table, in good spots: BD437 TO-126 and BU406 TO-220, but awwkk, they have horrible measured beta. So instead I suggest a Sziklai power stage.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

OK thanks Win. I mostly just pick transistors from what's in stock.. and not from any deep understanding of knowing what the heck I'm doing. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

0V, actually. Ground the collector.

lunatic fringe electronics

Does anyone add some surface conductors, like a solar cell?

lunatic fringe electronics

Couldn't you do a current/voltage graph of the b-e junction and figure out Rbb from that? Would the ohmic part of the curve be Rbb?

lunatic fringe electronics

OK I'm going to order some of the ZXT851/ 951 (not a lot of stock at DK) and the ZXT450/550, I'll report back with results.

Thanks everyone. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's possible to put an indium-tin oxide layer on top, but it costs extra and the stack is much harder to AR coat.

I'd happily settle for a higher-doped epi. We're investigating the cheapest way to add immersion lenses to plastic-package photodiodes.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Friday closure. I measured beta of a few of the transistors (1,10,100 mA) (using JL's circuit above, collector grounded) and found no correlation between beta and the noise. Only a few data points, but the noisest 2n4401 had a higher beta, than a quite one...

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Looks like you have to make a noise selection meter. If you are after noise in the audio range maybe use a low noise amp, a PC and the Daqarta software.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Beta goes up with temperature, so that's not too surprising.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Probably base resistance, Rbb. It would be interesting to check b-e with a DVM on the ohms or diode range, and see how that correlates to noise.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Ahh, OK. I've got these wired in to my white proto board. (I looked at the emitter voltage with a scope and saw no bad oscillations.) You want me to check V_be. I can do that, but you have to wait till Tuesday! (My kids have voted for shiskaba.. (I don't know how to spell that word.) Chicken, beef, onions, peppers, tomatoes, stuck on a stick and marinated in Chiavetta's (I was going to say you can't get any... but amazon.),

It's heavy vinegar and I like to add some tomato sauce and honey.

What's the best beef for shiskaba?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That sounds plausible, because it's oversimplified. Lower ib makes higher percent shot noise in ib, but not necessarily in the Ic, because Ib absolute shot noise is lower even if percantage is higher.

Extra words in the description really help in cases like this...

Reply to
whit3rd

Oughtn't the voltmeter be across the feedback resistor? That voltage is reciprocal to beta.

Reply to
whit3rd

Win, could you recommend transistors for Sziklai power stage for ~450mA-500mA cap mult? Thanks!

Reply to
AntonF

For good parts, with high beta and low r_bb', the effect is too small to give good answers.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I'd use a high-beta, low r'bb part like an NPN ZTX618 or FMMT618. Run it at 20mA with a 33-ohm PNP base-emitter resistor, and a PNP power transistor of your choice.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

AFAIK it is spelled Shish Kabab. Best to ask someone from Turkey though. I think shish translates into skewer. My mountain biking buddy made us really nice sturdy skewers for that from stainless steel.

Tenderloin or, if you want to really splurge, filet mignon. I prepare them as usual over wood fire.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

had an output noise of ~>1.5 nV/rtHz.

)
)

in

for

rce

What exactly is the circuit? Is the transistor an emitter follower regulato r for switched capacitor step up? If that's the case then a higher beta mea ns more feedback loop gain and therefore more attenuation of the transistor contribution to output noise. That is probably the correlation you're seei ng. As for temperature, transistor beta fades at 1%/oC, which explains the higher noise with temperature, in addition to the kTRB dependence.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Thank you, Win! Did you mean something like this?

It gives

Reply to
AntonF