Butterfly package inductance

Anybody round here got a number for the typical inductance of a butterfly-package laser mounted on a board with good lead dress? A friend of mine is having trouble slowing his laser driver down below 500 ps, even with 10-ohm ferrite beads. Next thing to try is a cap after the beads, but some reasonable estimate would help. 20 nH or so, maybe?

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We TDRd a couple of butterfly lasers and didn't see any inductance...

50 ohms all the way to the laser chip, which looks capacitive.

Try bigger beads!

Some of these lasers make an optical step that's quite a bit faster than the electrical input. They store up energy and go bang.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Lasers have a bunch of lags in the loop--the driver has to charge up their capacitance till they turn on, then the carrier density (population inversion) has to build up till they lase, then the lower state population starts to increase, which decreases the gain, and so on. Some systems such as nitrogen lasers don't have a stable operating regime--you get nanosecond pulses out of an N2 laser no matter what you do. (Of course you can also make it not lase at all, but you know what I mean.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Certainly. I have extensive experience with making lasers not lase.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Or turning a $1k laser diode into a $0.10 LED :-)

I'll never warm up to those butterfly packages. Yeah, they may be designed to 50ohm but it doesn't make sense. The laser diode is usually in the low single digit ohms and in order to drive it with gusto the other side has to be even less. So no match.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We have an old HP 8146 that has out lived its usefulness at work.. THey told me I can have it, I don't know what use I would have for it at home base.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Right. The telecom boys use 50 ohm distributed amps and bias tees to pump NRZ data into these things. In pulse apps, the drivers need to be closer to 1 ohm than 50, so the matching isn't right. But it's still better than having a bunch of series inductance. I want to put the tail end of my driver circuit inside the butterfly, snuggled up against the laser chip.

The butterflies are sort of terrible packages, and the pinouts aren't standardized. The dimensions (pin diameter, height above the baseplate) aren't either. We're making drivers for a bunch of circa $2K lasers, and luckily haven't blown up any. Yet.

We're getting around 100 ps wide light pulses out of this rig, *with* the pin sockets to the butterfly.

We did blow up close to $1000 worth of GaN fets one afternoon.

We pause this discussion to let JF and JT do their ritual whining....

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links