Building an interlock device for DUI parolee.

Actually, the most dangerous thing you can do is to be born. It turns out that numerous independent studies have shown that 100% of the people who are born die at some point in the future.

The thing I like about smokers is that we can tax them without their being able to do anything about it. It's a democracy, so since us non-smokers are a large majority, we win. As a democrat, I'm usually on the other side of that particular equation. They also can't easily quit, so the rest of us take advantage of it like drug pushers, raising the prices they pay for their drug with taxes, and then, in a brilliantly sadistic stroke, use that tax money to advertise against smoking.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

the URL, but the usual google search comes up with a lot of sites that all hang right around 40%.

Lies, Damned Lies, and then Statistics...

accidents caused by alchohol, and you are right, we should be paying attention to ALL the causes as well.

fatalities, and matches them up with who the victims are :-) If a person drives stupid and kills himself, that's one less person who is a threat to me, but if it happens that an impaired driver more often seems to injure or kill another, I would be concerned with that statistic more than others. If you want to kill yourself, be my guest. I just would prefer it if you didn't take me with you.....

Here is the footnote on that 20% figure from the web page I posted:

"1. Ross. H. L. Confronting Drunk Driving: Social Policy for Saving Lives. New Haven, Connecticut: Yale University Press, 1992, pp. 35-38; Reed, D. S. Reducing the costs of drinking-driving. In: Moore, M. H., and Gerstein, D. R. (eds.) Alcohol and Public Policy: Beyond the Shadow of Prohibition. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1981. Pp.

336-387; Hanson, D. J. Preventing Alcohol Abuse: Alcohol, Culture, and Control. Westport, Connecticut: Praeger, 1995, p. 31."

Here is the URL again for your reading displeasure:

Regards,
  Bob Monsen
Reply to
Bob Monsen

Yeah - I've heard that a Puritan is a guy who's terrified that someone, somewhere, is having a good time.

-- Cheers! Rich ------ "I'm Jewish. Count Basie's Jewish. Ray Charles is Jewish. Eddie Cantor's goyish. The B'nai Brith is goyish. The Hadassah is Jewish. Marine Corps -- heavy goyish, dangerous. Kool-Aid is goyish. All Drake's Cakes are goyish. Pumpernickel is Jewish and, as you know, white bread is very goyish. Instant potatoes -- goyish. Black cherry soda's very Jewish. Macaroons are very Jewish. Fruit salad is Jewish. Lime Jell-O is goyish. Lime soda is very goyish. Trailer parks are so goyish that Jews won't go near them." -- Lenny Bruce

Reply to
Rich The Newsgropup Wacko

said:

an

fatalities in the

Interestingly there is only the little check off on the accident report form to establish the statistic, and almost never any verification. A neighbor of mine is a police officer, he said that the rule is that in any MVA where there was no clear indication of a cause, check the "Alcohol involved" box. So the statistics are in error by the instructions of the police in many areas. In one case a man was involved in a single car fatal accident. His insurance would only pay if alcohol was not involved. The box was checked and it took his widow eleven years to collect her due, since the Police following their instructions said that in any single car accident at night was always to be checked as "alcohol involved."

"There are Liars, Damn Liars, and Statistics."

BTW: if the over 65 death rate could be brought down it would show a greater improvement! Work on that!

Reply to
Clarence_A

Do you think the cops are out to stop you from drinking? Perhaps it's a conspiracy! I'll buy that. A friend's brother's girlfriends' hairdresser once said that all cops are liars, and I'm now starting to believe it, based on the testimony of your cop friend. Why else would they make up those alcohol statistics? Of course, if your friend is a cop, he fits into that category too, so perhaps it's not true that they make up those statistics. Perhaps they are really telling the truth? Hard to say from the evidence. Perhaps we need help on this from alt.conspiracy.

"Everybody lies, but it's not important, because nobody listens" Nick Daimos

Are you over 65?

Reply to
Bob Monsen

You may want to consider a respelling of your new 'nym. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Heh. How 'bout that!! :-)

--
Thanks!
Rich

That should be fun for the guy in the eighteen-wheeler behind.

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse