Building a Lithium Ion Battery Pack. Need help.

um-

ke

That I understand. I think, so long as it doesn't pop off, I'd could integrate a check valve. Just would suck if it popped off underwater and then water seeped in an made a bigger mess. What I am building is similar to one of these:

I prefer lithium-ion as they last longer and an HID for the quality and quantity of light. Simply need a battery setup that will fit into a canister like the one on their page....

BTW, thanks for your input James!!!

Reply to
Bighiller

What would be the ramifications of an LI battery burst in sea water.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

Dunno. Soiled wetsuit, that's for sure.

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

es

like

Soiled dry suit! :)

There is a guy that builds these things and his says that it's not as bad as was expected when lithium-ion batteries were first considered...

Reply to
Bighiller
[snip]

You'd lose your carbon offset credits ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | If Bush was a MORON, what does that make Obama... an IMBECILE ?:-)

Hundreds of millions of cell phones and notebook computers say LiIon is pretty darn good. Maybe even better now than initially. But they can and do fail.

Notes: o A hand grenade holds about 700kJ of energy; your pack will hold about 220kJ electrical, plus thermal/chemical. o Even flashlights that use alkalines and NiMH cells have catalyst pellets (to recombine gases) and vents for safety. o Don't use the pack electronics to limit charging, discharge, etc. Your device & charger are responsible for that. The pack electronics are a fall-back, not a primary control. o You'll have zero low battery warning unless it's built into the HID controller.

Have fun!

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

SNIP

May not be an issue in this case but the PTC has a voltage limit of typically 30V. This limits the number of cells in series without extra protection.

SNIP

Reply to
Raveninghorde

pressure relief valve.

you're intending to carry round a sealed canister containing reactive chemicals (formeed into a battery)

Should the battery fail spectacularly and produce large amounts of gas and there not be a relief valve your canister has become a bomb.

Reply to
Jasen Betts