Using Many Ceramic Chip Capacitors Series vs Parallel

I'm planning on paralleling 50 1uF 200V ceramic chip capacitors. (Yeah I know that's goofy.. )

__Stress on capacitor pack.__ Vcap.peak = 170V Ripple current = 3.2Apk f=120Hz (post rectifier)

Alternatively, 50 47uF 4V capacitors in series cost $$$ about 3x less.. (Digikey observation.)

But I'm not able to determine if the capacitors can handle the ripple current from the datasheet.

What's better? Series or parallel??

I'm guessing the parallel arrangement is better. I think the chip capacitors in the series arrangement can't handle the ripple current.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

"Dickhead from BC"

** Nope - it a far worse than merely goofy.

** Those numbers do not add up - pal.

You need far more than 50uF to filter 3 amps at 120Hz.

500 to 1000uF is more like it, for the ripple voltage to be anything sane.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Or 10,000uF.

Vr ~= (1/120) * 3A / 1000uF = 25V ... 10,000uF = 2.5V

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

(that's peak-to-peak ripple, of course)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ooops...The ripple current is inaccurate.. However, I still have the same problem

Here's a more accurate description if it were a single capacitor.

My app can tolerate 84Vpkpk ripple on the cap.

Capacitor Voltage

___ 170V \\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\/\\ 84Vpkpk _______________ 0V

The load on the capacitor is an active 800mA constant current load. So the capacitor current looks like this:

Capacitor Current ___ 2.4A _|\\_|\\_|\\_|\\_|\\ ___ -0.8A

That's about 1.2Arms.

I'm trying to figure out the best configuration (series or parallel ) if given a ridiculous amount of ceramic chip capacitors to do this..

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

"Dickhead from BC"

** Give a total less than 1uF.

?????????????????????????????????

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In general I always prefer parallel. Series connections of caps are dicey. First, you'd need bleeder resistors to make sure there is no DC runaway in a few of them. Then, 47uF will have lots of tolerance so that alone with cause uneven voltage levels. Phssst ... POOF ... *BANG*.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Here's a rewrite for that snippit.

"Any commercially available ceramic chip capacitors that when in series approximately totals to 50uF +/-5uF and has a V rating not much greater than 200V."

Or just change that 50 to say 52.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Yup.. I'll need 52 bleeder resistors if I'm using 52 chip capacitors in series... That's extra work and space. Just the chip caps alone are ludicrous. However, series might still be the cheaper solution.

Pricing ~$17.00 for chip caps in series

Reply to
D from BC

"Dickhead from BC"

** You on drugs?

Forgotten to take the usual ones ?

** You incapable of reading??

Got no idea how caps in series behave?

You need 50 *2500uF* caps in series to get 50uF !!

IMBECILE !!

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Dickhead from BC"

** Piss off, nut case.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Oh crap...That's right it's 1/((1/C)* n). Not C/n. for identical capacitors. Well..that means I put the chip capacitors in parallel. Problem solved.

How do I can erase this whole post? :)

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

1/((1/C)*n) = C/n, but that still means 2,500uF / 50 = 50uF.

They'd have to be 4v each to get 200v total.

It might be more plausible and practical to use, say,

50v ceramics in series'd-banks of paralleled caps...dunno.

--+--C--+--C--+--C--+--C--+---- | | | | | +--C--+--C--+--C--+--C--+ | | | | | +--C--+--C--+--C--+--C--+ | | | | | +--C--+--C--+--C--+--C--+ | | | | | '--R--+--R--+--R--+--R--'

Statistically that cuts down on the potential mismatch between capacitors--the paralleled banks, that is--and uses fewer resistors.

Or you could do what everyone else does and just pick a nice electrolytic.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

At low temperatures, aluminums crap out. Tantalums explode. Polymer alums only go up to 16 (25?) volts. That leaves film caps, I guess.

John

These are 10uF / 50v, $0.162 :

?name=445-3479-2-ND

I figure a 6x30 array would do it, 6 series banks of 30 paralleled caps, costing about $30.

That's 6 in series rather than 4 to cut the voltage across each, otherwise you're just making the world's largest varactor. Might need more than 6, for that matter.

I also chose a 1210-cased part over the 1206 parts, for the same reason.

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Uh uh, Y5V...

What capacitance is left at rated voltage?

-- Thanks, Fred.

Reply to
Fred_Bartoli

?name=445-3479-2-ND

You snipped this part from my post:

"That's 6 in series rather than 4 to cut the voltage across each, otherwise you're just making the world's largest varactor. Might need more than 6, for that matter.

I also chose a 1210-cased part over the 1206 parts, for the same reason."

All things being equal, bigger cased-parts suffer less capacitance loss with applied voltage, and I seem to remember higher-voltage parts suffer less (we had a thread here in s.e.d. a while ago).

How much capacitance is left? The makers almost never say!

But, never wonder when you can measure:

1) Taiyo-Yuden JMK316BJ106KL-T, 10uF/6.3v, X5R, 1206 10.5uF/0v, 10.0uF/3.6v, 9.6uF/4.5v

2) 08056D106MAT2A 8.8uF/0v, 6.6uF/3.6v

3) Taiyo-Yuden LMK212BJ225KG-T, 2.2uF/10v, X5R, 0805 -10% @ 6vdc

4) Taiyo-Yuden JMK105F474ZV-F, 470nF/6.3V, Y5V, 0402 0v 440nF (520nF on first measurement, 440nF after voltage had been applied then removed.) 1v 238nF 2v 134nF 3v 82nF 4v 64nF 6.3v 40nF

Hmmm, Y5V makes *excellent* varactors. I actually have an application for this: a VCO.

But for DC from BC? Probably should use film caps, like John said.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur
[...]

They also work as temperature sensors, strain gauges and vibration sensors :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I have a paper somewhere that uses ceramic caps as the active elements in a high-voltage nonlinear transmission line (shock line) pulse sharpener/booster. That suggests the nonlinearity holds up at high frequencies, at least in some caps. Unfortunately, the most nonlinear caps have the worst TCs. Varicaps have rotten TCs, too.

I wish I had a low-TC varicap just now. Varicap TC changes with bias:C, so any compensation must itself be nonlinear. How tedious.

I suppose you could make an audio power amp using ceramic caps as the gain elements. Or a lamp dimmer, stuff like that.

John

Also as microphones. But you have to strum the twang box real hard ;-)