Breakthrough silicon scanning discovers backdoor in military chip

back to China.

hut without

temperature -

Maybe it's the lead fumes... :-)

Reply to
Bill Martin

On a sunny day (Wed, 30 May 2012 09:27:42 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

data

There are meny scenarios possible.

Just a few: Hacker, in war zone, gets one device, and learns all about the crypt. (used by all others). Shoots down drone, now soon other drones will land places too.

Maybe even intercept the chips between (trusted) factory) and assembly line, reprograms them with a time based killer... Ah! we found the missing truck with Actel FPGAs ....

Think some minutes, you can come up with much more and better I am sure. I rather not publish some of the more serious things here.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Neat paper. I seriously doubt that the actual research was that straightforward.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

afford

attack

predictable.

the

designer).

That sounds like some pretty nice vault. I wish i could believe it = fully.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Wasn't anything fancy. Hint: it cost exactly one PIO...

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

sounds like the sort of thing that could be defeated by drilling a few holes in the right places, and perhaps introducing some glue.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Cargill

chip:

way to

almost

afford

attack

predictable.

the

(which

designer).

useless.

guys

those

well

one,

fully.

In that case i bet i could open it without erasure. I would have to rent or use someone else's expensive tools.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

fully.

And quite possibly just cutting the case away in the "right way".

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Maybe so. I have no way of knowing if anybody ever did.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill