boomerangs

How does a boomerang work? How would you model one?

Is it possible to treat it as an optimization problem? Optimal bomerang design...

-- Rich

Reply to
RichD

Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

What do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back?

. . . . .

. . . . .

. . . . .

. . . . .

. . . . .

A stick.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko

You hold it by one end and throw it.

In the 60's I used balsa wood, an X-Acto knife, and sandpaper to make little model toy boomerangs about 6" long. I could hold one in my palm and launch it with a finger flick.

Use standard aerodynamics for a rigid wing at low speeds.

Three or four symetrically arrayed (Y or X types) blades are best. Two blades (V type) only works if they are offset from a straight line at the junction ("hub") by 30-90 degrees, for reasons of rotational kinematics. I thing 45-60 degrees is best:

\\ \\ \\ HUB / (45-60 degrees from striaght) / /

Angular momentum is important to maintain flight attitude. Try to keep the center of mass of each blade more than half-way from the hub to the tip.

Five or more blades and each 'trips' over the propwash of the one ahead of it.

Tom Davidson Richmond, VA

Reply to
tadchem

It's black magic.

Reply to
John G.

[snip]

A boomerong.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

In the bad bad lands of Australia many years ago The Aborigine tribes were meeting, having a big pow-wow We've got a lot of trouble, Chief, on account of your son Mac! My boy Mac, what's wrong with him? My boomerang won't come back! Your boomerang won't come back? My boomerang won't come back! My boomerang won't come back! I've waved the thing all over the place. Practiced till I was black in the face. I'm a big disgrace t' Aborigine race. My boomerang won't back. I want a kangaroo (yeah yeah) Make kangatoo stew (yea yeah) But I'm a big disgrace t' Aborigine race My boomerang won't back

Reply to
krw

When my daughters were small, their favourite riddle was, "What's brown and sticky?"

A stick.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

How small, high school?

t -

Reply to
Mensanator

It's unfortunately very difficult for people to remain that innocent in American high schools at present. They were probably in second grade.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That was good. Sounds like a 30s or 40s era recording.

Reply to
OutsideObserver

'50s, I think.

Reply to
krw

1961:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

JOHN G: What is black magic? I took an e+mail correspondence took out all the vowles except for 1o as in o or 1o. I the reposted it without the 1o or -1o or -o, but what you saw

1st frame| 2nd frame | o | _________|__________ a b t k o m e e r a n g

Boomerang! TKO

Reply to
It's Your Thing Do What You Wa

->

-> >

------> >

-> > How does a -----boomerang work? -How would you model -one?

-> >

-> What do you call -a boomerang that ---doesn't come -----back? =thequestionaskeduntilitdoes

->itdoes=do

----boomerang work? -How would you model -one?

-> >

-> What do you call -a boomerang that ---doesn't come > .

->+

->-

->+

+>

=> A stick.=Cheer,

~> Cheers! ~> Rich Musatovv -poor] PUNTERY!

Reply to
It's Your Thing Do What You Wa

+> Re: move .spam.sux to reply.-p m sux to move .spam.sux to reply.+ [p=n p + movedoverserver+npnq
Reply to
It's Your Thing Do What You Wa

Fresh cake icing or fudge.

Reply to
OutsideObserver

Reminds me of "Beep, beep" and "Yellow Polka Dot Bikini".

Reply to
OutsideObserver

Nice nym.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

You throw it.

Easy, real boomerangs are straight and linear. Only the fake returning ones sold to tourists are non-linear.

Yep, you keep throwing until you get it right.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones