Boat Anchor Manuals Archive--gone!

Hi, all,

I just went to bama.edebris.com to download a manual, and the site is gone. Anybody know a mirror?

It's still on archive.org, but you can't run wget on archive.org, so I can't set up my own mirror.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

-- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net

Phil Hobbs

Looks like this is the mirror:

"The main BAMA site is down due to major repairs and upgrades at sbc.edu. A notice will be placed here when they are completed. (9/17/2009)"

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Alas, they *were* the mirror.

It looks as if the domain registration for EDEBRIS.COM was allowed to lapse... it's in the "pending renewal or deletion" state at the registrar (Network Solutions).

With luck, the domain's proper owner will see this, and do an emergency renewal before it lapses completely and ends up being re-sold.

Reply to
David Platt

*BOING*.

The edebris.com domain has been renewed, and the web site is once again reachable.

"There was much rejoicing".

Reply to
David Platt

And hopefully much wget-ing too

Reply to
Chris Jones

wget -nH -np -k -r --quota=2000000000

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Of course robots.txt disallows downloading the actual manuals. I emailed the esteemed proprietor, Ed Kujawski, and asked permission to mirror it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There would be even more rejoicing if they reinstated the Heathkit stuff.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

He doesn't want it mirrored. He says that some folks were selling copies of the manuals on eBay. Why that matters when the manuals are all other people's work in the first place escapes me, but oh, well.

It's still a great resource. I wrote a REXX program to download the manuals I actually want and patch the HTML to match. (It's fully manual, so it doesn't count as a robot.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

What address are you using? The domain name is parked. The site address ( 208.91.197.132 ) only responds to ping, no http, no ftp.

There is ( hopefully ) a manual I'd like to have available there.

Reply to
Jim Whitby

216.24.174.245

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks.

Doesn't seem to help much. Ftp shows only an upload dir. http goes to "parked" domainname.

Reply to
Jim Whitby

You can't download by ftp. Try wget.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You probably need to clear your DNS cache. It's working fine for me--I pulled that IP off a running wget session.

There are about a gigabyte of redundant index files there, named index-xxxxxxxxx.html where xxxxxxxxx is some big long number.

Irritatingly, telling wget to reject them results in it downloading them and then deleting them.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Had to restart Bind.

Thanks for the tip. Working now.

Reply to
Jim Whitby

One of the better lists.

I like Kurt's manuals.

Reply to
miso

It appears bama is back at edebris again. I made sure by picking up a couple of files. Alive and well.

Reply to
jurb6006