Blu ray resolution only 480i

I'm not sure that's the right question to ask.

At what resolution do you no longer see *any* benefit for a further increase? It's not so important for a TV, but for reading large amounts of text on a screen..

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Sure. It was after 1955 since the problem was color TVs (higher anode voltage). In the '60s, IIRC, over-voltage detectors were added to color sets to keep the second-anode voltage within range, so excessive X-rays weren't generated. In the '70s, lead was added to the glass to block most residual X-rays. Yes, (some) people never stopped worrying about it.

Reply to
krw

That is a somewhat different question and mainly determined by the effect of antialiassing on fine text with sharp edges. A few people find MS fancy subpixel fonts chromatic abberation on Win7 and later disturbing (eg Joerg). I can ignore it unless I use pixel zoom.

My main screen is 24" HP IPS at about 0.4m away. I have a second screen with 4:3 configuration next to it.

The criterion for general video content of images is more relaxed as the majority of the image has limited hard edges and a high correlation between adjacent pixels. There are defects in some MPEG codecs that will only show up when the content being played is right.

Water skiing in strong sunlight with trees providing shade is one extreme test and the other is a slow pan over shallow diagonal lines like newsdesks. If there are any mistakes in phasing these tend to show them at their worst with breakup of the sharp edges.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Maybe 480i was all that was on the Blu Ray disk you had but wikipedia says it's good for about 4K video.

BTW, I see quite an improved picture on my new 4K 41" monitor with

4K source. Very nice !

boB K7IQ

Reply to
boB

Likewise with my 65", even without a 4K source.

Reply to
krw

It turned out that I had to set the resolution to 1080P from my settings on my TV.

I would think the TV could determine the resolution automatically from the media.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

It's supposed to. Ain't technology great!

Reply to
krw