Blasting Rock With a Bullet

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Why I see such things, I always wonder about the person who first said "let's try this."

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Sure beats this over-comlicated mess:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

hmmm - Didn't Newton's Laws of motions say for every action, an egual and opposite reaction? Is that absorbed by the steel rod and weight?

Reply to
haiticare2011

Yeah, looks pretty massive, more than the rifle the bullet would fit into. The gun already has human-manageable recoil, so...

Wonder if it works on granite. Pretty damn tough stuff, it might just go puff (and do much less safe things with the rod!). The hole isn't very tight, so in the event nothing happens, perhaps it'll just chuff out the hole and that's it?

As long as the rock is soft enough to fracture, and the fragging is contained (as shown, though I'd rather see something like heavy canvas instead of plastic tarps), it should be a pretty safe method. Soon as the rock fractures, the gas pressure dissipates, even if the hole is tight. At least, I can't think of any horrible things that would result, given the procedure and equipment as outlined.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

Makes you wonder who was the first to do it. "Hey y'all, watch this" comes to mind.

tm

Reply to
Tom Miller

Any red-blooded American kid who played with bullets when he was growing up...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

And the fact that the kid is red-blooded will often be amply demonstrated.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I used to shoot the primer with a BB gun. A kid's BB gun is maybe 300 fps, slow enough to dodge a ricochet.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That would be me at age 13 or 14. I put a .22 in a bench vise and beat on it with a hammer. The bullet didn't go anywhere, but the brass casing managed to carve me up sufficiently to require stitches. To compound my stupidity, I delayed telling my mother that I was bleeding profusely for about 30 minutes, by which time I had lost enough blood to nearly pass out. Red-blooded is correct, as the garage floor looked like the aftermath of a massacre. When my father arrived home, he didn't know about the pool of blood on the garage floor, and performed a slip-n-slide when he stepped in it. Fortunately, no injuries were sustained. Some things just have to be learned the hard way.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

ng up...

d.

LOL- one individual I know managed to blast a cleaning rod out the barrel i nto his mouth and out the back of his neck. Was his mother ever surprised w hen he went into the house, with the cleaning rod still through him, to tel l her maybe he needed to go to the ER.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I did something similar. Today you would be put on drugs for life.

Reply to
haiticare2011

Idiot.

I once used a shotgun casing with powder removed. It ended up flaming out the back causing some hand burn.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 02:36:19 +0000 (UTC), gregz Gave us:

Jeez... We beat .22s on rocks with the hammer to listen to the whir of the slugs.

I reamed the ass end of my pellet pistol to accept .22 shorts. As a kid, I got stumped at how to add a firing mechanism to it.

I had two 1" x 12" bolts and a nut I used to place on the end of one bolt... just a few threads... and then added about 30 strike anywhere match heads... just the tips. Add the other bolt and tighten together

--gingerly--. Then toss it right down the middle of your street, end over end, and watch it fire the bolt a couple hundred feet when it hits the ground. Talk about unsafe.

My brother used to cut two *real* railroad torpedoes in half and drop them down an 8 foot x 2.5 inch gas pipe with a plate welded on the bottom of it, and then toss a real M-80 in behind it. Down on the river, as the Delta Queen paddled by...

The flame exited the pipe about ten feet.

The poor old man with the black powder cannon down the street stopped bringing his 'pop gun' out after that.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno