Berlin Television Station 1935

I thought some of you at sci-electronics would find this a bit interesting, all history cites relating to when was the first television broadcast in Berlin, often say "1935" were point at which broadcasts began, but I found an article dated July, 1935 which someone kindly reprinted in English which says otherwise, it looks like Oct, 1934.

The print found at the article is pretty small at least for me, my text setting is already being set for large.

Berlin Television Station

German Television Wilhelm E. Schrage, Radio News, July 1935

"For the past 9 months, the Berlin Television Station has been radiating interesting programs, daily, on 7 meters."

John

Reply to
John Scheldroup

Mr.von Mihaly did a TV Transmission, followed by

The latter one had at least some resolution, 10000

is (from de.wikipedia.org):

Fernsehübertragung in Berlin. Im selben Jahr stellte

Berlin 1928 vor; das Empfangsbild des

10000 Bildpunkten. Der von D. von Mihály auf der

und nur 900 Bildpunkten eine wesentlich schlechtere

zum unverkäuflichen Telefunken-Prototyp versuchte von

Fernsehsender jedoch noch ein aussichtsloses Unterfangen.

transmissions but not nearly in today's resolution. 1200

CBS. However, they discontinued that in due course

to the tube in those days. When I was born there

Really interestin stuff Joerg, thanx for typing it up.

John

Reply to
John Scheldroup

Hello John,

Actually it was 1928. Sorry, I only found this in German but long story short Mr.von Mihaly did a TV Transmission, followed by another by Mr.Karolus at the "Funkausstellung" trade show in Berlin in 1928. The latter one had at least some resolution, 10000 pixles on a postcard size tube. For those of you who can read German here it is (from de.wikipedia.org):

"Am 11. Mai 1928 präsentierte D. von Mihály einem kleinen Kreis die erste Fernsehübertragung in Berlin. Im selben Jahr stellte auch August Karolus sein Fernsehen auf der 5. Großen Deutschen Funkausstellung Berlin 1928 vor; das Empfangsbild des Telefunken-Prototyps hatte eine Größe von 8×10 cm und eine Auflösung von etwa 10000 Bildpunkten. Der von D. von Mihály auf der Funkausstellung präsentierte Telehor lieferte mit einer Bildgröße von 4×4 cm und nur 900 Bildpunkten eine wesentlich schlechtere Bildqualität, erzielte aber eine größere öffentliche Resonanz: Im Gegensatz zum unverkäuflichen Telefunken-Prototyp versuchte von Mihály, sein Gerät zu verkaufen ? zu diesem Zeitpunkt mangels eines Fernsehsender jedoch noch ein aussichtsloses Unterfangen. Dennoch gilt der 31. August 1928 als Startdatum des Fernsehens."

In 1929 the first official station in Witzleben (Germany) started TV test transmissions but not nearly in today's resolution. 1200 pixels, 30 lines, 12.5 frames per second. I believe there was no sound carrier.

There even was a "TV guide" for January 1938:

Only two hours of programming.

I guess the first regular transmissions of color TV goes to the US, 1951 by CBS. However, they discontinued that in due course because of some serious technological challenges. I guess kids weren't glued to the tube in those days. When I was born there still was only one channel in the area.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Run through Google's translation, then cleaned up. Caution: the last time I tried my German on a fluent speaker of that language, her response was "You sound like a Turkish taxi driver".

"On 11 May 1928 D. von Mihály presented the first television transmission in Berlin to a small group. In the same year, August Karolus showed his television at the Fifth Greater Germany radio exhibition in Berlin. The received picture of the Telefunken prototype had a size of 8×10 cm and a resolution of approximately 10000 pixels. The "Telehor" presented by D. von Mihály at the radio exhibition had a picture area of 4×4 cm and only 900 pixels - a substantially worse image quality - but it struck a chord with the public. In contrast to the unsalable Telefunken prototype, Mihály wanted to sell his equipment. Because of the lack of television stations at this time, this was another venture offering no prospects. 31 August 1928 is considered nevertheless as the starting date of television."

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds
< snip >

I've seen that problem ( of near unreadable text ) increasingly lately on some sites.

What size monitor are you using and what resolution ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

NEC MultiSync A500+ 15" 1152 x 864

John

Reply to
John Scheldroup

Ah - that explains it.

I'm running the same resolution on a Sony Muliscan e530 21" . That helps you read the text.

I rather suspect you're pushing the monitor's dot pitch based capability there.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Using

[ "on 11 May 1928 D von Mihály presented the first television transmission in Berlin to a small circle. In the same year also August Karolus placed its television on the 5. Large German radio exhibition Berlin 1928 before; the receipt picture of the Telefunken prototype had a size of 8×10 cm and a dissolution of approximately 10000 pixels. The Telehor presented by D von Mihály on the radio exhibition supplied with a dimension of picture area of 4×4 cm and only 900 pixels a substantially worse image quality, however a larger public resonance obtained: In contrast to the unsalable Telefunken prototype tried television stations from Mihály to sell its equipment - at this time for lack of however still another venture offering no prospects. 31 August 1928 is considered nevertheless as starting date of the television." ]
--
Cliff
Reply to

That is better. When I spoke my audience asked me what language I was speaking :-)

ClueLess

Reply to
ClueLess