Beam me up, Scotty

The joke in the now-many-decades-old text-based Star Trek computer game was that repairs to the Enterprise always took considerably longer than Star Fleet said they would...

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Kirk: How long will the repair take Scotty? Scotty: 6h Captain Kirk: You have 30 min! Scotty: Aye, Captain!

At the time I found it funny. Now I have realized that this is daily Engineer/Manager talk!

My salute to the man who inspired me most to become an engineer.

Reply to
Wolfgang Kemper

My favorite line of all time from Star Trek was from Scotty when he was talking about his career to someone. He had been made an admiral or some such administrative poohbah, and he was reflecting on his Star Fleet career :::::

" .....All I ever wanted 'ta be was an engineer on a starship ..."

................ I know the feeling....

Andy

Reply to
Andy

One of my favourite lines of all time "I cannie change the laws of physics, I need my 30 minutes".

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

I always wanted to be a "Scotty"

R.I.P James Doohan

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

"It's dead, Jim."

--
  Keith
Reply to

That's "He's dead, Jim." These three little words were surely first uttered in a very tacky way concerning the death of Gene Roddenberry, IIRC the first person majorly associated with the show to die. I think it was Deforest Kelly, as Lenoard McCoy aka 'Bones' himself who next died, who so many times spoke those very words to his captain.

To make this slightly more S.E.D related, the man who so often said "He's dead, Jim" was named after Lee De Forest, inventor of the triode tube:

-----

Ben Bradley

My favorite line, I think, was when Bones ordered Scotty to get some rest. So, Scotty was kicking back on his bed, reading Enterprise tech manuals on the computer screen. Kirk or somebody said, "I thought Dr. McCoy told you to relax!" Scotty, kind of surprised, says, "I _am_ rrrelaxin', sirrr."

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

This isn't the quote I was referring to.

A quick google on "change the laws of physics" came up with a few "I canna change the laws of physics"

e,g

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Favorate quote:

It's uh. I think its uh. It's green.

Jeff Stout

Reply to
Jeff Stout

There was a 5-second snippet on the teevee nooz the other night, of Scotty saying just that. Unfortunately, they picked it right out of context - it would be nice to know what Kirk had just said to him.

Heck, isn't the whole series out on DVD by now?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise